free website stats program Clutch adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment

newb

I have a dumb question about adjusting the clutch. All the directions I've read, and even the service manual confuse me at one particular step. The first thing you do is introduce a large amount of slack into the clutch cable. I take this to mean, and have read elsewhere, that the lever should be against the bar. After adjustment is done it tells you to work the lever a few times to set the ball and ramp mechanism. How do you work the lever if it's against the bar? Am I just over-thinking this? I've adjusted my clutch many many times without issue, but with skipping this step. Am I just lucky or what?

I take this to mean, and have read elsewhere, that the lever should be against the bar.

Lever up against bars is way way too much slack. About 3/8" free play is all you need. This way you will have ball setting resistance.

the lever is suppose to be aganist the bar before u start adjusting ur cable. as u adjust the cable the lever moves out.

You are right. I've read that too and it makes no sense. You cant work the lever to seat he cable until you have the cable pulling on it.

Back