Clutch adjustment

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by newb, Nov 5, 2011.

1. newb

newb New Member

I have a dumb question about adjusting the clutch. All the directions I've read, and even the service manual confuse me at one particular step. The first thing you do is introduce a large amount of slack into the clutch cable. I take this to mean, and have read elsewhere, that the lever should be against the bar. After adjustment is done it tells you to work the lever a few times to set the ball and ramp mechanism. How do you work the lever if it's against the bar? Am I just over-thinking this? I've adjusted my clutch many many times without issue, but with skipping this step. Am I just lucky or what?

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Lever up against bars is way way too much slack. About 3/8" free play is all you need. This way you will have ball setting resistance.

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

BUBBIES Clutch Adjustment
    Published by glider (Super Moderator)
    Published date: Jun 8th, 2011

Harley Davidson Community

Try this out...

signed....BUBBIE

4. xrap51

xrap51 Member

the lever is suppose to be aganist the bar before u start adjusting ur cable. as u adjust the cable the lever moves out.

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

6. johnflorida

johnflorida Member

You are right. I've read that too and it makes no sense. You cant work the lever to seat he cable until you have the cable pulling on it.