free website stats program Clutch adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adjustment

Subby

OK guys...I need some help. Bike is an /09 Ultra...I did the clutch adjustment procedure as per the manual ( loosen lever cable, turn the adjusting bolt in until it just seats, back out one full turn and tighten lock nut, adjust cable slack.) Now, when I put the bike in gear...nothing happens! The bike won't move. I can probably put everything back the way it was but what did I do wrong?? Help

s/b back out 1/2 turn if I remember.. But you might also go to the top to self help tips.
Go down that list to #89 ez clutch adjust method. I havent had to use it yet, but others here have, and really find it right on target.

Problem solved guys...I made a stupid mistake which I won't ever make again. I didn't loosen the adjusting bolt enough to be able to feel the contact point properly when turning the bolt in. Dumb eh? This was my first attempt at doing the procedure and now I know how to do it right. Engagement point is about 1" from the bar so all is right with the world again. Thanks to all who offered help. And Glider, I did check the self help section and tried the easy method but I think I must have loosened the cable too much as I couldn't feel the lever move away from the bar while adjusting the clutch. Next time I'll leave a bit of tension in the cable.

Hey Subby! Was your engagement always 1" off the bar? I just got a used 08 Ultra and mine is about the same and I can't stand it that far away. I feel like I have no room for clutch control. I guess because I have small hands. Let me know when you can.
Thanks!

Put a little more play in with the adjuster or remove the belly cover and back the.pushrod off a little so the clutch dosent disengaged so far
WAP.gif

Hey Biffy1997, the engagement point was close to 1" off the bar at new. Now, after doing the adjustment and taking a test ride, I realize I was wrong...the engagement point is more than 1". Going to readjust later today as I like the engagement point right around the 1".

Thanks for the reminder Glider. I left the bike overnight then did the adjustment again today. It's still a bit over an inch to the engagement point but better than it was. Had to come out on the adjuster 3/4 of a turn rather than the 1/2 turn as per the manual. Everything is good now, shifts smoothly, engages smoothly and neutral very easy to find.

Back