free website stats program clutch adj not working | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch adj not working

Dan o

hey guys i tried to adjust my clutch as per manual and videos and after completing it step by step the lever was just flapping in the breeze i even called up my buddy to help and he said something is wrong.the only way i can get it to work is if i adjust the cable adjuster all the way please help and also after loosen the locknut i have to spin the allen all the way in

Put as much slack in the cable as you can with the cable adjustment on the cable. Then loosen the lock in the primary and turn the screw in till you start feeling tension on it, then back it off 3/4 of a turn. Use a deep socket with vise grips to tighten the lock while holding the adjustment screw with a allen wrench so it does not turn. Then take the slack out of the cable until you can pull the sheath away from the clutch housing 1/8 of and inch.

thanks guys but i tried all these methods and its still not working.after i collapse the cable adjustment then adjust the allen in and back off a half turn tighten nut and make sure allen doesnt move and adjust the cable a few turns out still no luck could the cable be loose somewhere else

thanks guys but i tried all these methods and its still not working.after i collapse the cable adjustment then adjust the allen in and back off a half turn tighten nut and make sure allen doesnt move and adjust the cable a few turns out still no luck could the cable be loose somewhere else

Not sure what you mean by "adjust the cable a few turns out still no luck". You will need to adjust this enough to take out almost ALL the slack in the handle (clutch lever) on the bars. This is usually quite a lot of turns. As you unscrew the adjuster, you will see the handle (clutch lever) moving out towards the full out position. You want to stop so that when you pull on the cable housing away from the stop, you get about 1/16" of gap. This will be about 1/4-1/2" of travel at the end of the lever.

Is that what you are doing?

TQ

what i mean is when i unscrew the cable adjuster on the cable ,the lever is not moving out away from the bars .the only way i can get it to work is if i unsrew it al the way until im not catching any threads at all on the cable adjustment

You may have to pull the trans cover where the cable goes in. It sounds like either the cable became unattached (unlikely) or the balls in the ramp have changed location. Are you absolutely sure the clutch itself is adjusted properly?

How did the clutch work prior to your adjustment?

thanks glider i think your right it sounds reasonable my clutch was fine before except for the fact that i was coming home from work last week and i noticed when i pulled the clutch in it just felt like i lost some cable.like it slipped a little.i can ride the bike around ,but i just cant get the slack out when i do the clutch adj from the primary.. its gotta be the cable in the trans i will check it out thanks again for your help

thanks glider i think your right it sounds reasonable my clutch was fine before except for the fact that i was coming home from work last week and i noticed when i pulled the clutch in it just felt like i lost some cable.like it slipped a little.i can ride the bike around ,but i just cant get the slack out when i do the clutch adj from the primary.. its gotta be the cable in the trans i will check it out thanks again for your help

Sounds like your cable is shot. Probably one end or the other is in the process of parting. Suggest taking loose the lever end and checking that first since it is the easiest, but you will probably end up changing the cable completely, so you will have to get into the tranny side cover. Not just a plain and simple job on my bike since there is stuff in the way that has to come off first!! I hate that part!

TQ

Back