free website stats program clunky front brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

clunky front brakes

ultrat

Contributor
09 ultra when i apply front brakes its like there lose a clunk sound loudest is first use in morning first applyed. but they clunk other times to. also rear brakes take more foot pressure than my 93 flh. any thoughts on this from touring riders. no abs..

I hear the clank on my 08 first thing in morning or right after i use the silent reverse then hit the brakes .. can't say what it is .. pads look fine and it stops.. and the dealer answer was.. wait for it

they all do that

When you apply the brakes, first roll forward and listen for clunk, then try and roll backward and check for same. If it clunks in either way, caliper fastener bolts are loose, sloppy fit pivot pin, even may have pad improperly installed in the retainer notch against the anti-rattle spring which pre-loads tension on them.

My 08 ultra has this noise, we found it to be the pad movement in the caliper, other than the soft clunk type sound at the first forward stop the brakes work fine, I own / operate a auto repair shop so I feel very confident that it is safe, did this from day 1, and of course the dealer, Shumate of Spokane, said this is common on this model, aka, they all do that. When the pads need to be replaced, the hardwear will be also. No noise from the 09 RKC 7,500 miles.

09 ultra when i apply front brakes its like there lose a clunk sound loudest is first use in morning first applyed. but they clunk other times to. also rear brakes take more foot pressure than my 93 flh. any thoughts on this from touring riders. no abs..

I've had the same thing on my 07, it's just a bit of movement from the pads and not a problem.

I would prefer the pads a little loose than too tight, want them to be able to move freely in the caliper.
kemo

My 08 Street Glide has the clunk intermittantly. Sometimes it will be the first time I use the front brakes moving forward, sometimes it will be after riding awhile. Doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it sounds sort of like something hitting the front fender. I've checked everything and found nothing loose. Had the dealer check it out, and they said everything was fine.

Just one of those things I guess we all learn to live with?

Back