free website stats program Clunking Sound When Backing Up | Harley Davidson Forums

Clunking Sound When Backing Up

franka

Recently when backing out of the garage with clutch in and in neutral I'm hearing a clunking sound? Only happens when bike is cold, as I roll back I hear clunk then pause, clunk, pause, clunk, pause etc. Once I kick it into gear and move forward, no clunk, any ideas?

Recently when backing out of the garage with clutch in and in neutral I'm hearing a clunking sound? Only happens when bike is cold, as I roll back I hear clunk then pause, clunk, pause, clunk, pause etc. Once I kick it into gear and move forward, no clunk, any ideas?

Do you have a belt guard? Is the belt "hanging' on the guard briefly and then "clunking" as you roll backwards?

TQ

Where is the sound coming from?
Could it be backlash from the primary chain? Then it has to do with the self adjusting primary chain tensioner. Look in the self help section. I think glider posted up some info on this.

Possible it could be the belt and in need of a rear wheel alignment. Try to pin it down where the noise is coming from.

Check your wheel bearings. My rear wheel bearings went out at 16K and there was a significant clunking noise when backing up.

Back