clunking noise when i first sit on the bike....

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Lang, May 23, 2011.

1. Lang

Lang Member

hi again, well since everyone here is helping me out so much here nad i've already learn alot from you guys.... heres another one. when i first sit on my bike i get a clunk. sounds like its coming from the front end. and it seems to do it when i havent been on it in a while, after it sits with no weight on it for a bit. i rebuilt the forks last year but it did it before that. i tried tightening the steering head bearings a bit and noticed the bearings felt notchy, and the clunk did go away. so i'm thinking new head bearings perhaps. a bit more oil in the forks maybe, or less oil.... what do you guys think. thanks

Lang

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If the head bearings felt notchy then i would be looking at the head bearings and replacing them at the earliest opportunity

Brian

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

How were the bushings did you replace them in the tubes?

4. Lang

Lang Member

yes i did replace everything in the tubes. and mine does have a grease nipple on it, i will try regreasing them, but im starting to think the bearings need replacing. thanks

yes i tried to shake the front end while its up off the ground cant get it to move. thanks

does anyone know what part of the shock makes the shock go back down after compressing? thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

The big long SPRING..... Maybe you left them out?????

signed....BUBBIE

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Bubbie has you covered on this one as the purpose of the spring is to keep the forks extended

Brian

7. Lang

Lang Member

cool thanks, and no i didnt forget to put them back.... or did i?:D

8. glazier

glazier Junior Member

maybe you put the springs in upside down and they're pushing up instead of down :s

9. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

That one deserves a :newsmile100::cheers

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

WE are REALLY terrible here,,,,:bigsmiley8: People are going to TALK....:newsmile102:

Man, I can't believe what gets said here,,:lolrolling

WE'd Better watch out cause the BIG BOY might come and add a little to this Soup Pot.. He goes NUTs at times you know..:bigsmiley14:

signed....BUBBIE

Now LOOK what you made Me Do....:51: