free website stats program Clunking Noise when braking | Harley Davidson Forums

Clunking Noise when braking

Edsur

I have a 2005 Road King Classic with 10k miles all stock, just recently I hit the rear brake when slowing down and heard a loud clunk as the clutch was depressed, I repeated it out of gear and no noise.

I have a 2005 Road King Classic with 10k miles all stock, just recently I hit the rear brake when slowing down and heard a loud clunk as the clutch was depressed, I repeated it out of gear and no noise.

If the clutch hangs ON a bit and allowed the Slack (primary chain & compensator with pressure against them) to make the noise OR the clutch plates popping loose against pressure of the breaking, would be the only thing I would think of.... But ONCE doesn't make a problem.... Can you duplicate the Same Process to make the noise???

If so, it may be found ....
Welcome

signed....BUBBIE

Did you open the inspection door, and look inside?

There are many things it could be.... while We don't hear the Clunk but you do,,, it is hard to imagine... Hope someone comes along that has Had the Same noise and the same way...

look like suggested (derby cover on clutch and inspection plate), check the play in the primary chain, I don't think yours is auto-tension adjusted? Chain could be Loose enough to Slap the Case when clutch is pulled in and slack goes opposite way while breaking..

signed....BUBBIE

Back