clunking front end

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by Melroy, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Melroy

Melroy Account Removed

I have a '93 FXDL. Whenever I hit a pot hole, even at a very low speed, the forks seem to bottom out. CLUNK. I've changed the fork oil and am not sure what else, if anything I can do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Yep, steering head bearings are probably loose. The factory upped the torque from 40 to 100 lbs. I set them at 70 lbs and no more problems.

3. HarleyHarry

HarleyHarry Banned

There's a thread on cluncing front ends. Sure you'll find info there. You would not believe the amount of info our Oracle (Glider) has put there for all to look at.

4. nala55

nala55 Member

I replied to a post in a different forum about the factory change on the torque for the fall away on the front end....I stated it was @ 35 and it was changed to 75 foot #s lots of folks wanted to know where that info came from. Because of the concern about the mess up with the torque numbers that the MOCO changed.

I could never find the the info again to prove the fact, but I know it is a fact.

There is also a fork spring ( slap ) that you might get from hitting a sharp spot in the road...that is normal, so myself would like to see the torque setting change info, so I can pass it on to the folks:D

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

It was a tech bulletin, I am trying to find it to post here. I had it but can't find it now.