free website stats program clunking coming from clutch area | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

clunking coming from clutch area

i'm using 20-50 engine oil, and i'm not sure of the primary lube as it got changed by the shop who replaced my trans seal and sprocket, i checked with him on the primary chain as he was in there last, said all looked fine, it doesn't really sound like chain slap anyhow. but, as bubbie says it really sounds like the compensator sprocket. after reading more on it. it certainly sounds like the symptoms. as a 35 year triumph rider i became very aware of chain slap,lol.oh i'm running 80-90 weight gear oil in tranny. come to think of it the guy i bought it from was running sreaming eagle 3in1 stuff which went into all 3 locations, i didn't care for that stuff

thanks for the reply glider. yes i checked the primary chain, i should have mentioned it. the problem seems to happen at slow speeds in first. if you let the clutch out slow there's no problem. i've had someone walk along the bike as i pull and release the clutch and the sound comes from the clutch area

You may not want to hear this but you should check the clutch basket on the trans output shaft for any problems and see if there is any play with it on the shaft.

glider, wouldn't the mechanic who replaced the trans. seal and drive sprocket run into any play in the clutch basket as he removed it to access the shaft seal?

glider, wouldn't the mechanic who replaced the trans. seal and drive sprocket run into any play in the clutch basket as he removed it to access the shaft seal?

If he was a good tech I would say yes

Back