free website stats program clunking coming from clutch area | Harley Davidson Forums

clunking coming from clutch area

hi all, First off i'm new to this site so greetings to everyone. Currently i have a 1994 heritage classic and i'm getting a clunking or load clicking in the clutch area when i pull the clutch in and let it out quick in first gear at slow speeds.The bike has 15000 miles on it, it has done this at 11000 when i bought the bike. afew weeks ago I had to replace the trans. seal and drive sprocket, which i don't know if it was related to the clunking sound in the clutch. I've adjusted the clutch and checked the clutch plate tabs for wear but, everything seemed alright. Anyhow, if somebody has a thought on this i'd appreaciate it, thanks

thanks for the reply glider. yes i checked the primary chain, i should have mentioned it. the problem seems to happen at slow speeds in first. if you let the clutch out slow there's no problem. i've had someone walk along the bike as i pull and release the clutch and the sound comes from the clutch area

thanks for the reply glider. yes i checked the primary chain, i should have mentioned it. the problem seems to happen at slow speeds in first. if you let the clutch out slow there's no problem. i've had someone walk along the bike as i pull and release the clutch and the sound comes from the clutch area

I always hear noise when in and out on the clutch Especially like the speed you are talking about (walking beside) the slack in the system does Makes Noise.

If you have a Weak compensator unit (on the motor), It may just be that... compensator works to Help Not Jerk when you start out bike in motion. If that is the noise, and it bothers you, check it out..

signed....BUBBIE

thanks bubbie, i'll chech the compensator unit out, the noise does happen when you jerk the bike when you start out. if it's a smooth start nothing is heard

thanks bubbie, i'll chech the compensator unit out, the noise does happen when you jerk the bike when you start out. if it's a smooth start nothing is heard

Failed to ask: what weight and brand oil do you put in the Primary chaincase?
engine and tranny

signed....BUBBIE

How is the primary chain, not too tight or too loose? Are you checking it cold or hot, and do a good visual on the rollers just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Back