free website stats program Club/Group/Etc | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Club/Group/Etc

RWB - I'm on the Washington side of the mighty Columbia and just barely on the east side of the Cascades. Only 20k people in a County that is about 35 miles by 100. In our County we have about 150 miles of riverfront roads. I'm 2 miles from a 25 mile long canyon run. Summer is cool, listening to the packs coming out of the canyon... I must admit that the riding is phenominal! I think there is only one actual 3 color stop light in the whole County. All two laners. For riding, it's hard to beat. You mentioned huricanes, you forgot poison snakes and gators - LOL. We have Rattlers but I only see one about every 5 years and you have to really try...

Bryan - I'm glad this thread helped. I would hate to see someone spend a year trying to fit in to something they really don't need, just to be disapoointed in the end. Don't get me wrong, IF you could find one that was perfect then GREAT. But I would not try to MAKE one perfect. What happens when you have to work at it is that you start to make comprimises. Little ones at first. "Oh, I'll just visit the kids next weekend. I better go to this meeting." You start to realize this about the time they hand you your patch. Then you're all excited for a while, but the compromises keep coming. "Hey this is a guys only run, your wife can't come." "Hey thanks for being so dedicated, and we really like you but we need you to tell your wife not to be so opinionated." And on it goes until you've finally had enough...

Like I said early on - If you want to start a group or club that's cool. But really plan it out and don't even discuss a patch or structure for at least a year or two.

RWB - I'm on the Washington side of the mighty Columbia and just barely on the east side of the Cascades. .... .... I think there is only one actual 3 color stop light in the whole County. All two laners. For riding, it's hard to beat. You mentioned huricanes, you forgot poison snakes and gators - LOL. We have Rattlers but I only see one about every 5 years and you have to really try...

Wow one stop light, wouldn't need a Lenale fan there. Sounds beautiful. Yea we've got the snakes and the gators were gettun so big that they open season on them once a year now to thin them out. Got some friends that love gator hunting. I'm too old for that stuff. Seems when I was a kid the gators were never a problem. We swam in the same waters as them. But as things got more crowded they have become more aggresive.

All the snakes (except the moccasin) will leave you alone if you don't bother them. I do put hardware cloth over my plumbing vents out where I live though. Got tired of walking into the bathroom and seeing the friendly corn snake sprawled out in my sink relaxing. They would go into my plumbing stack after the frogs but sometimes they would fall and then come back up through the toilet and get in the house. Quarter inch hardware cloth stopped the frogs and the snakes from that.
Happy riding my friend. R_W_B

Must tell you about this The Official Plymouth Mega-Ride Website

each year in Plymouth UK, this event runs and raises good money for charity.

Trouble is, although there is a Police presence, you get loads of idiots. Imagine 8000 bikes on the same road and you get the idea. Last year Plymouth Chapter was invited to lead the ride. Within 200 yards, idiots had broken into the ranks, and were riding very dangerously. Some guys hang outside the meeting place and just crash out into the pack as they leave to start the ride. Many of the Harley owners said they won't be doing it again, as the crotch rockets want to cut in and out and race the short ride before arriving at Plymouth Hoe. The other thing is, if the weather is good, the air-cooled bikes toast your legs crawling along and then overheat.

A couple of us started a planned ride on thursdays, it has grow to about 11 bikes, we decided ( for fun more than anything ) to start our own very informal MC we ride once a week, if you make it fine if you cant fine, also we talk about safe riding and even have meetings about it, its very casual and besides teeshirts we dont make a big deal about it, but its been alot of fun , next week we are riding from central Florida to key West, hauling our bikes down from Michigan.

... .... .....
Many of the Harley owners said they won't be doing it again, as the crotch rockets want to cut in and out and race the short ride before arriving at Plymouth Hoe. The other thing is, if the weather is good, the air-cooled bikes toast your legs crawling along and then overheat.

Yea those crotch rockets are a breed all their own. You ever notice the position of their passenger rider. It almost looks like a catapult launch position. Makes me fear for them sometimes just watching them weave in and out of traffic with a passenger.

In Florida this is the only time of the year when heat isn't an issue in slow traffic. I surmise if you crawl along too far (in the summer) your legs aren't all that's overheating, like the life span of your engine. The HD engines are tough but it's got to be hard on them.

... .... .... next week we are riding from central Florida to key West, hauling our bikes down from Michigan.

You guys are gonna love that ride. It's been years since I was down to Key West but it is beautiful this time of year, before the heat and hurricanes set in. Loads of great bars to visit and other attractions (like Hemingway's place). Your cameras will be taking many memories on that trip. Happy riding.

Blueboy - That's the way to do it! Hopefully it lasts without anyone wanting to hold elections and write bylaws and charge dues... Have fun! Good for you!!!

I rode alone for years and then I found a club that sounded good, rode with them for 4 years that didn't end well, then tried HOG that was ok but discovered I really like riding alone. Now I will ride with a group at times but prefer to meet them at a destination. My wife and I will do 800 mile days depending on destination mostly Alabama and we love it. No one wants to go with on those trips.

:rider

One other problem I haven't mentioned with a "group" vs a real "club"... It has been my observation over the years that anything voluntary and open to the public tends to attrack people who can't find a position of authority over others anywhere else in their life. That can really take the fun out of it. When you are there becuase it's supposed to be a fun group of people who all enjoy riding, and here's some person who was given a title bossing you around. Not cool! And kinda sad.

Be curious what responses you get. In my 30yrs of riding, I've never buddied up with more than 3 other riders when we've hit the road on a road trip. I've never ridden in a large group, never been in a m/c club, and have never had any desire to. I'm not much on big crowds unless I'm listening to some good music. I can't imagine riding with 50 or 75 riders on a ride somewhere. The local HD shop recently did a toy run, or something to that effect and the guy said there were appx 250 bikes in the run. Yikes. Cool to look at but I'd rather throw 2 fingers down as I'm heading the other direction. But to each his own. And I'm cool with that.

Hey trvlr, I'm with you on this one... Large groups on bikes? No thanks... Large groups listening to good music? Bring it on...

Back