free website stats program Close call | Harley Davidson Forums

Close call

RetiredJake

Coming home yesterday from a twelve day ride. Heading south on I-57 in Illinois. As I'm passing an on-ramp, two cars are accelerating up the ramp. I move over to the left lane. There is a truck in front of the cars in the right lane as they enter the freeway. Apparently not wanting to stay behind the truck, and looking to the left/behind you is so passe, the lead car moves to the left lane, with my from wheel even with his back door. Can you say BRAKES !!! I no more than cleared him and got my shakes under control, when the cell phone wielding idiot in the second car does the same thing. It takes me a couple of miles to stop shaking. I don't think either of them even knew anything had happened. What a horrible way to have ended a ride if I had not been keeping an eye on them.

Good save Jake, kind of underscores the meaning that motorcycles are INVISIBLE to cagers...especially cellphone wielding ones. :bigsmiley19:

I'm glad you were on your toes ! I hope the rest of the trip was eventfull in the other direction !!! I'm always careful when I see someone on the phone or has one of those socker balls decals on their bumper (Look-Out).. :newsmile071:

In my opinion that is the most dangerous part of a highway (and the reason I try to avoid highways), the on & off ramps. My wife and I experienced something similar. A woman, on a cell phone, entering the highway, looked right at us, and continued on in our path! I was able to get over in time.
I'm glad that your okay because I can identify with what happened to you and the shakes that follow afterwards!!

I am afraid Yield does not mean Yield anymore Its" Who Got Here First"I get alot of windshield time in my job and see a lot of this daily.i am always aware of the ramps as I approach them .

Jake so glad your reactions and bike handling were spot on. I'm not sure what it is going to take to get people to put down their cell phones and stop talking and texting while driving. Enough studies have shown that when you use your cell while driving you are impaired. Most studies I have read puts you in the 4 to 5 drinks impaired range. Again glad you made it home hope the shakes end soon. I guess the air horn is a good idea, but I think I'd rather have an automatic weapon mounted on the bars.

Back