free website stats program close call with stator & rotor | Harley Davidson Forums

close call with stator & rotor

dogcop727

well I took the the leap and tore my bike down yesterday to look at the stator and rotor and yep 3 of the 8 bolts were loose. bad call HD not to do a recall on this issue. Got the rotor off and took it to a custom bike shop here and 10 buck later the screws were welded in place. put it back together and its ready to ride. i would suggest every 2006 dyna owner think real hard before they think about not taking a look at this issue. im glad I did.

no suspicions what so ever. Only word of mouth by other 2006 dyna owners and a hint by my dealer that there is a problem. you will not know the bolts have completely come out until your charging system takes a dump. i did this only as a piece of mind so when i do take long rides i wont worry about sitting on the side of the road with a dead bike.

several threads about this and even loctite wont do the trick. harley recomends replacing the rotor with a 07 one piece unit. what the dont tell you is that you need to replace the stator as well. 07 rotor is biger than 06 so you the 2 wont work together. Harley new they had a problem after they started making the 2 piece unit. they did a upgrade the 1st part of 06 trying to fix the problem did not work. july of 06 they discontinued making the 2 piece. 07 went back to welded unit. still wont do recall tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what i have learned its only the 2006. you can check with your stealer but i think it was a new disign in 2006 and for the dyna only.

Back