free website stats program Close call today!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Close call today!!

Glad to hear you made out without harm. Some people really are brain dead behind the wheel of a cage. gator508 makes mention of a cager following him after making a hand gesture. That is always a possible downside to expressing yourself.

Usually I simply shake my head a move on. But sometimes, and I am not saying this is a smarter option by any means and doing it while on a highway does not have the same effect but I have been known to follow an individual long enough after pulling something stupid to make them wonder what I am up to. Matching them turn for turn through a neighborhood just long enough to make them nervous and then calmly peel off when the time comes.

Glad you are OK. Some times any kind of gesture or contact can go sideways much as we would like to point this out to the offender. I would next time pull over and get on my cell phone and report the driver to the State Patrol, You never know they may be DUI or worse JMO

Man, the most important thing is that your able to tell about it today. Some riders have been unfortunate to be able to tell their scary incident. Im so glad you made it out ok. It breaks my heart to read about a biker out enjoying the day and riding was killed because someone driving a 2 ton vehicle was not paying attention and on their cell phone. I know without a doubt you were terrified afterwards and rightfully so. I had an incident about three weeks ago a car was in my lane and heading at me and I had no choice to hit the ditch on my bike. I hit the ditch and the driver saw me do it and they kept driving. I would not ride for about a week afterwards. I had to hop back on and face my fears and im ok today. I was a police officer for 7 years and learned to expect anything from someone driving. I ALWAYS anticipate people pulling out in front of me when my light is green and so on. When I ride also I assume that every single vehicle driving does not see me at all. Im such a cautious person in general I am wore out from riding because im on my toes the whole time while riding. I think you handled your situation very well. Stay safe brother!!!!:bigsmiley14:

I can never find the horn either.
When I'm stuck in traffic like that I hit the throttle plenty to let people know that I'm beside them. You said "you were a little ahead of her driver's window" and later "she rolled down her window at next intersection". Sounds like to me she saw you but wanted to get from behind the truck anyway.

I would get tag and call it in. They remember that.

Thanks for all the replies.. I still feel she intentionally did it, we were side by side in locked in traffic for over 2 miles so she had to know I was there, plus my pipes are loud, she just bullied her way in to get around the 18 wheeler up ahead that was slowing traffic in her lane. Because the way I see it if she didnt know I was there she would have just cut hard into me and wrecked me, but with her slowly moving in she was just creating a space for her to zoom ahead, cause she knew I would have to move over or slow down, thank goodness we hadnt reached the concrete medium seperating lanes or I wouldnt be writing this right now. And as for if she got the message i really dont think she did, she just had this blank look on her face no emotion other than touching her chest with her fingertips with both hands and saying I didnt see you, which is a very convienent excuse (her actions kind of reminded me when Steve Urkel says did I do that.. lol), she didnt even say she was sorry. @ bill mull glad your ok and in good health with the ditch incident, hope all is ok with the bike as well. My wife still insist we are gonna get louder horns for our bikes as she rides as well. which still wouldnt have helped me as I didnt hit it until well after. I think im going to ride and practice hitting the horn on the backroads till it becomes second nature to me. On my old bike the horn was in a different location and I think I reached for that spot first yesterday, also thinking about a grease pencil and pad and mounting it on my bike for quick access to write tag # down, my cell phone is too hard to reach when on the bike. But again thanks for letting me vent yesterday and your support really helped calm me down these last 2 days, plus a couple of shots and some physical exertion with a hammer and some old 2x4's, to pound on.:D

As with everyone else, had similar close calls. The most recent was the most outrageous. After almost running me down so that he could get in front of me (won't get into all the details) and out an exit lane, I was just shaking my head at him. As I was getting abreast of him, me in right highway lane, him moving up exit lane, I looked over at him....and he flipped me off! THAT had me understanding road rage more than any other close calls. It was all I could do not to pull over on to the shoulder so that i could head back and get up that exit.

My calm came and won, but that was THE most outrageous...he almost killed me and then flipped me off because I kind of objected to it!

I think you handled the situation well. I think it's good that you told her how poor her driving was. Hopefully she will learn from that. As far as calling the police go it wouldn't have done any good. There's really nothing they can do for you at that point. Unless they witness something they cant issue any citations based solely on your statement. Most likely they wouldn't even respond since there is little to no chance of finding her anyway.

Like the others been there done that. Mine was a Mercedes and I think the driver was a doctor's wife based on the personalized plates. I believe that in most cases it's just a case of not paying attention. In my situation I was along side of the car as well and she just slowly moved into my lane without even looking out the side window. I was probably far enough to the front of her door that she couldn't see me in the side mirror even if she did check it. Glad you're ok.

Back