free website stats program Clock and miles to empty zero out | Harley Davidson Forums

Clock and miles to empty zero out

cossak

I have a 2011 Softail convertable; bike runs beautiful and I love it. Hovever just about 5000 miles I noticed the clock would not stay set after turning off ignition; when restarted it would be blinking 12. It had worked fine before, never had to reset it but now if I want to watch time I have to reset every ride. Also the miles before empty also will be at zero, and the low gasoline light is on even if the tank is full. After I ride a few minutes the miles to empty is reasonable and the indicator light is off; but the clock is still blinking unless I reset it. I hate to take it to dealer and let them tinker and play, while they keep replacing parts. I also worry that some electrical glitch is going to expand to other things.

Any suggestions? It is still under factory waranty, plus I have the extended waranty. Just hate going to dealer, that's all.

Why not check the battery cables for being secured and tight?????

Checked all battery terminals, all were tight. Also checked battery, it had strong charge and voltage was right. Reassembled carefully, sanded contacts and put some electrical grease on tabs. Power on and off several times seemed ok. Then rode about 10 miles, parked and when I restarted engine both were out of wack again. I think it is the speedo unit and I will take it in while still under waranty.

Update, the dealer tested and decided it was the speedo. Ordered a replacement from HD which will take 2-3 weeks, however I am riding it in the mean time. Also, I had to guess how many miles I will ride until it arrives because the new odometer has to be set by the factory.

Well the dealer replaced the speedo with a new one from HD; I rode home turned off bike, turned power back on and all was OK then I started the motor and the clock and miles to E both zerroed out.

Is it just a defect I should live with or does anyone have some more ideas?

Last edited:
I know you said you hate going to the dealer but this is not something you should have to live with. Take it back as many times as you have to for them to get it right!

Their guess was wrong so I would think that they will want to properly dio and find out problem now. For this is now strike 2. There appears to be a power loss to unit. Ask them if they did a wiggle test on harness. Watch for their expression.:s And no this is not something you should live with....:(

Does the 2011 Softail have HDLan (little to no fuses or lack of a fuse panel)

If your bike does not have HD-Lan and you do have a rack of fuses, the instrument panel (speedo) actually has two power sources. One is a "keep alive" circuit and the other is an "ignition on" circuit. Therefore there will be 2 fuses that power the instruments. One should be called the "battery" fuse, the other should be the "ignition" fuse. Check the fuse labeled "battery". That is the one that keeps the time of day alive when the ignition is off. Be sure you have power on both sides of the "battery" fuse.

If your bike does have HDLan, you will have to make different tests.

Back