free website stats program Clicking solenoid. | Harley Davidson Forums

Clicking solenoid.

coylizard

I'm looking for advice... help!

The solenoid on my 1988 FLHTC clicks continuously when I attempt ignition.
If I hold the start switch long enough, the starter heats up. If I depress the start switch briefly, I hear an occasional exhaust "puff" like the starter engages the engine.

The battery seems okay: is fully charged, holds 12 plus volts, and passes a "load test."
I measure 12 volts out of the battery... but only measure 7-9 volts at the starter.

I "on vehicle" tested the solenoid. The "Pull-in Coil Test" measured 1.5 ohms and the "Hold-in Coil Test" measured about the same: 1.2 ohms... suggesting the solenoid is okay.

My question is... do I have a bad starter, a bad solenoid, or could it be a bad starter relay?

Can any of y'all reveal where the starter relay is on an '88 FLHTC?

Any words of wisdom, advice, and/or experience will be much appreciated.

If the starter is heating up, it would indicate that the power is getting to the starter and you may have something binding in the starter or the drive, worth checking that out before going any further.

You should have the same batter voltage @ the starter before you hit the button, if you do not you need to find out why, a fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts, any voltage drop to the starter will result in a click or a no start with less volts

sounds like bad cables shouldnt it read above 9v0lts even under starting load so could still be bad battery

Hey! Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your attention.

The auto parts store guy checked the battery, placed a load, and stated the battery was good.

Just an hour ago, I voltmetered the charged battery, found 12 plus volts (at rest)... and then cranked the starter. The voltmeter dropped to 5-6 volts!!!

I'm thinking I've a bad battery despite what the yahoo at the battery testing site declared.

I'll see.

Hey! Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your attention.

The auto parts store guy checked the battery, placed a load, and stated the battery was good.

Just an hour ago, I voltmetered the charged battery, found 12 plus volts (at rest)... and then cranked the starter. The voltmeter dropped to 5-6 volts!!!

I'm thinking I've a bad battery despite what the yahoo at the battery testing site declared.

I'll see.

I have found if a battery cannot hold at least 10volts after hitting the starter it is time for a new battery

I agree with Jack and TQ about replacing the battery. There's a lot of kids working at those stores that may not know how to properly test a battery. The ECM needs at least 9 volts to allow the bike to run and less than that it's a no go.

I agree with Jack and TQ about replacing the battery. There's a lot of kids working at those stores that may not know how to properly test a battery. The ECM needs at least 9 volts to allow the bike to run and less than that it's a no go.

:laughI AGREE with all the above comments, also:D

I had to argue with a clerk to let me buy the New battery I NEEDED:newsmile093::newsmile093:,,, despite His testing....:newsmile055:

Got it home, hooked it up, and presto it started fine...:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

Back