free website stats program Clicking noise while removing battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Clicking noise while removing battery

FLST

While removing battery cables on my '05 softtail I kept hearing a clicking noise coming from the vicinity of the speedometer. Was I doing something wrong?

Always remove negative (-) cable first and push it out of the way so there is no possible way it can contact the terminal, I use a piece of rubber hose to slip over terminal to prevent contact. Then remove the positive terminal. The clicking in the speedo area was most likely caused by the clock funtions or even the odometer clicking on and off. These items always have power to them so you may see the time or milage without haveing to turn the ignition on, you just push the button on the side, back or on the new bikes up on the left hand control area.

Always remove negative (-) cable first and push it out of the way so there is no possible way it can contact the terminal, I use a piece of rubber hose to slip over terminal to prevent contact. Then remove the positive terminal. The clicking in the speedo area was most likely caused by the clock funtions or even the odometer clicking on and off. These items always have power to them so you may see the time or milage without haveing to turn the ignition on, you just push the button on the side, back or on the new bikes up on the left hand control area.
Thank you Slapp. I like the idea of the rubber on the neg cable. There is no way to prevent it from touching something. I had a real time trying to get the battery out. This will help a lot.

Back