free website stats program Clear Coating Brake Rotors? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clear Coating Brake Rotors?

Dispatch

Banned
Due to the fact that the metal is porous and uncoated, is it not a bad idea to clear coat the metal on your brake rotors(other than the part that contacts the brake pads)?

Due to the fact that the metal is porous and uncoated, is it not a bad idea to clear coat the metal on your brake rotors(other than the part that contacts the brake pads)?

Hmm . . . I personally would never put any thing on a rotor . . . I'd be scared that I'd screw up the braking power . . . maybe a degreaser? Something like simple green completely rinsed off might be alright . . . not sure! Just be careful!

mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Hmm . . . I personally would never put any thing on a rotor . . . I'd be scared that I'd screw up the braking power . . . maybe a degreaser? Something like simple green completely rinsed off might be alright . . . not sure! Just be careful!

mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Agreed. Be very careful as to what you put on your brake rotors.

Transfer of any thing to the brake pads would certainly affect the braking, I say keep them clean and Good to go

The reason I bring this up is I recently used Mothers "All Wheel" cleaner and it permanently stained my brake rotors especially in the areas where the mounting bolts are.
I now have long black ugly streaks on my rotors I can not get out no matter what I try.
Even the Mothers company could not help me in removing the stains.
The label on my bottle says it is safe for all wheels.
Although the Mothers company has recently re-packaged and re-labeled this same product and NOW it says DO NOT use on motorcycle wheels because of what happened to me has happened to many others.
doh.gif

The reason I bring this up is I recently used Mothers "All Wheel" cleaner and it permanently stained my brake rotors especially in the areas where the mounting bolts are.
I now have long black ugly streaks on my rotors I can not get out no matter what I try.
Even the Mothers company could not help me in removing the stains.
The label on my bottle says it is safe for all wheels.
Although the Mothers company has recently re-packaged and re-labeled this same product and NOW it says DO NOT use on motorcycle wheels because of what happened to me has happened to many others.
doh.gif

Try some steel wool followed by some brake cleaner

... or WD40...

wd40 on a brake rotor??? REALLY? :(

I dont think I would use it on a rotor finish, Brake clean or denatured alcohol would be the best. Any oil residue will contaminate the pads, and discolor the rotor. Once this process has taken place the metal and the pads will have memory in them, this could come back to haunt you. JMO from teaching brake classes for 30 years

Back