free website stats program Cleaning up the mess | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning up the mess

snarley

My 2003 Road Glide is the baddest trike in my county! It has 95" with SE Performance heads, SE257 cams, 10.5:1 compression, Hooker headers and mufflers, and SE racetuner. It started making a swishy sound.

HD mechanic says my chain tensioner grenaded, and metal particles took out oil pump and a tappet, which trashed a cam.

I am going to convert to Andrews 67G gear-drive cams myself. I am replacing the oil pump with a Fueling Superpump, with a matching cam plate and lifters.

How can I be sure I have gotten all of the metal particles out of the motor?

Do I have to pay HD big $$$ to dyno my bike again?

When I get Snarley done, she will be totally off-the-hook!

My 2003 Road Glide is the baddest trike in my county! It has 95" with SE Performance heads, SE257 cams, 10.5:1 compression, Hooker headers and mufflers, and SE racetuner. It started making a swishy sound.

HD mechanic says my chain tensioner grenaded, and metal particles took out oil pump and a tappet, which trashed a cam.

I am going to convert to Andrews 67G gear-drive cams myself. I am replacing the oil pump with a Fueling Superpump, with a matching cam plate and lifters.

How can I be sure I have gotten all of the metal particles out of the motor?

Take the engine completely apart including splitting the cases, and as bud says drop the oil pan too. If you have an oil cooler throw it away and get a new one.

Do I have to pay HD big $$$ to dyno my bike again?

Yes if you do a cam change you need to do a dyno, especial when your cam choice is at the top of the food chain.:D

When I get Snarley done, she will be totally off-the-hook!

Its probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you want piece of mind while you are riding it has to be done right.

Back