free website stats program Cleaning mag wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning mag wheels

billkater

I have just purchased a 2002 883 Hugger. It has mag wheels on it. What is the best way to get these clean? They are black with grim and brake dust.

Thanks

Bill

S100 does a good job and should be available at the dealers. Make sure to rinse it off good. Simple green will work good too.

If the aluminum is really dirty, (not the black part), I use Blue Magic. Cleans cast aluminum to almost a chrome shine with just a little elbow grease.
You can get it at most auto parts stores.

I use neverdull by eagle one on my mags and it seems to work well. after a scrub with that a nice coat of mother's mag polish

One big YES on the Mothers aluminum/chrome polish. I also invested in a bike lift and an empty 5 gallon bucket, turn the bucket upside down to sit on and put the bike on the lift ... makes cleaning the wheels a breeze.

If you have some real nasty spots I've also used SOS pads, 1000 & 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, to use on the bare aluminum, followed with the Mothers .. really works wonders.

I have used a scotch brite disc on a dremal tool. If the aluminum has started to pit use a med. scotch-brite and going over finishing with a fine pad. Finish up w/ jewelers rouge on a buffing pad, or never dull will help.

Back