free website stats program Cleaning engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning engine

Jdsmitty10

My deuce engine "fins" are looking pretty poor on the front side of the engine just behind the front tire...They are just not silver bare aluminum looking like the right and left side. Do you think s100 or pig spit will get rid of that? or do you think i need to lightly sand the fins with a high grit to get the original look back? I don't think the previous owner was too picky about it(maybe rode in the rain alot). Now I gotta clean up his mess hahah..

Hobbit's got it - S100 & don't really recommend using any abrasive material on the bike, unless you're re-painting tins. A little S100 & water will brighten things up drastically.

I might have to try one of those scrubbers...mine is def on there..I have tried scraping it off with a fingernail and it doesnt budge..

The s100 you talk about is that the engine brightener? or should I use the cleaner? And is it spray on, scrub and hose off? heard alot about it but never actually bought it and tried it yet.

what about using WD-40...I used to used it on my old Yamaha, and my ATV to keep the aluminum clean and new looking as well as the frame...haven't used it on my RK or Sporty cause the over spray is a pain on chrome.

hobbit is on track with the nylon scrubbers. If you have a woodworking store close you can stop in there as they do make the scrubbers in several grades (grits) to be used as a finishing sandpaper. You can also look at Rockler.com. Like any other abrasave, you want to use the finest grit that will get the job done.

I don't know if i will mess with wd. seems like that will leave an oily residue..unless i really need to, i will stay away from that.

Back