free website stats program Cleaning bottom | Harley Davidson Forums

Cleaning bottom

67wizard

I wonder what the best cleaner to use on the bottom of the motor. Also to clean the oil off after a filter change. Simple green, pig spit, or S-100. What are your thoughts.

I have been riding so long that I remember well, the local HD dealer would let us clean our bikes at their shop. This of course was back in the early 70s and before everyone wanted to sue everyone and dealers were a different breed too.
Anyway the point I was going to make before I got to reminiscing about my youth, I was going to say that the dealer had a soda type fire extinguisher dispenser which they had a mix of the stuff they called Gunk. That stuff sprayed onto engine and the heavy dirt areas really did the trick when washed off with the garden hose. The best part was the smell that came from the bike as you drove off. Gunk has a distinctive smell when on a warmed engine and it lasts about a week too.
I don't use Gunk any more, my late model Dyna does not leak and I just reach under with a can of brake clean and blast anything under the cases. The rest of the engine cleans up fine with whatever it is that they have at the wand car wash. I use that and a lot of water to rinse.
Have fun! :)

Simple green for me. Spray it on, let it sit and hose it off. Also works as a great pre-wash spray. Spray your bike with it and most of the grime will slide off. Then wash as usual.

I've had good luck with Simple Green for quite a while. It cuts the grime, and does not seem to spot my natural alum. engine, or my wrinkle black engine. Pretty cheap by the gallon too.

Simple Green is better for you and the environment to use also. Just sayin. Not huggin the tree or nothin.

Bodeen

Back