Cleaning and waxing spokes?

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by nhk750, Dec 13, 2009.

1. nhk750

nhk750 Active Member

Now that I have a bike with shiny spokes on the front wheel, how do I keep them clean? Can you wax them? How do you clean them easily when they get dirty? I cleaned them once so far and it took a long time...must be an easier way?

2. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

You wont like this answer!
    I put my bike up on my jack so i can easily rotate and access each wheel,then work a soapy sponge between the spokes and rims.I follow this with Turtle wax on EACH spoke and inside the wheel hub,then polish off.It is a very time consuming and frustrating procedure,but thats what it takes to do justice to a Harley.I have smooth profile rims on mine,and these are certainly worth spending time on.
    To me,NOTHING makes a Harley look decidedly 2nd hand and not cared for than cruddy spoked wheels,hubs and rims.

3. nhk750

nhk750 Active Member

That's what I thought, no easy way...Looks like it's time to get out the elbow grease and some wax!

4. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

Shouldn't you be asleep?:yeahright

5. nogoslim

nogoslim Active Member

You can ride it, polish it or find a happy place somewhere in-between. Me, I ride mine a lot and wash it when I find time. Polish? About once a year in the middle of the coldest month of the winter. I didn't buy mine to show it off to the fair weather riders, I have my Harley to ride it! I don't park it at the tavern and show it off with the rest of the chrome queens... :57: Ride your baby and don't worry to much about the polish!

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Hey Biscuit...who sleeps?...Glider is a mainframe and moderators are like busy elves during the holiday season...:newsmile085:

Oh, unfortunately Biscuit's old fashion suggestion is the only real surefire way to restore the beauty of your spoked wheels. I would suggest plain ordinary Palmolive green dishwashing soap (99 cent Store, only a little bit goes a long way) cleans and leaves no residue) for the first "wash". The other thing is polish and wax one spoke at a time.:30:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

I agree with Nogoslim but there are a few things you might want to consider , I have the american wire 100 spoke rims and I live in the tropics , I spent 4 hours cleaning it the first time , yes tooth brush and I could see i wasn't going to do that again , I bought a chrome spoke wheel cleaner and to my surprise it worked awesome , takes under 4 minutes a rim , thats worth it , I used it from eagle one , be sure to follow the dirrections careful , also it wont clean the rust off but I have bought some light scouring pads with soap built in and they do wonders .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  8. nhk750

nhk750 Active Member

That is why I have two bikes, one is for trashing and my Harley is for posing. Chrome queen, I like that. Someday I will get a beat up rat bike Harley, when I get a spare $5,000. Then I can ride whenever it rains and not worry about cleaning...

9. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

i ride in any weather, but my bike stays spotless, but it takes alotta time waxing and buffing on it. it's also my 1st bike to.

10. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

I use Luster Lace, I can do my wheels in a couple hours, I found that the key to spokes is to not let them get bad in the first place! I to ride my bike, but I also take pride in it and keep it looking good and clean, nothing wrong with that.