free website stats program Clean Exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Clean Exhaust

dkamp

I had a few unidentified spots on my Exhaust Chrome that seemed to be permanently affixed.
I tried rubbing with copper wool (Like Steel wool but softer) a few seconds and it left the Chrome looking great! just a tip hope it helps someone else.

I had a few unidentified spots on my Exhaust Chrome that seemed to be permanently affixed.
I tried rubbing with copper wool (Like Steel wool but softer) a few seconds and it left the Chrome looking great! just a tip hope it helps someone else.

Glad you got it off, sounds quick and easy.
I have always been nervous about using things that cause any abrasion to the chrome finish. A fix I read about suggested using oven cleaner on the exhaust after warming it up. Spray the cleaner on a rag, wipe it on, wait a little while and wipe it off. It certainly works well on boot goo.

Hmmm...good to know, but sometimes any "metal to metal" rubbing isn't good. Definitely recommend attempting in hidden area(s) before going all out. Thks for the tip tho.

Good tip, I have used this before but I use a lube like tranny fluid or polish with the steel wool

I've not tried Steel wool just the copper wool. steel wool might scuff a bit.
Has anyone "waxed/polished" the exhaust before? I've always been afraid it would discolor the chrome after it was ran awhile.

Polish first, then touch up with some Pledge furniture polish

Back