free website stats program Clacking noise from transmission | Harley Davidson Forums

Clacking noise from transmission

Romain

I ride a stock 2007 1200XLC with around 15000 miles on the clock.
She has always served me well and been dutifully serviced.

I rode her without problems and parked her for the night as usual.

The next morning, she started on the button and sounded sweet but I noticed that the feel and noise of engaging the clutch was slightly different than usual and as the bike started to move forwards, there was a nasty clack clack sound coming from the transmission.
I engaged the second gear and the noise was still there.
There is no untoward noise when out of gear.
I didn't insist for fear of making further damage and after checking various forums, I am at a loss to explain the problem.

I'm grateful for any help before going to my HD Shop. Thanks.

The first and easiest thing I can think of, is to check is the front belt pulley (sprocket). The cover comes off easy, and you can see if it is loose.

$_35.JPG
Look behind the cover like Pete said, make sure the pulley is tight and the locking parts have not fallen out

Thanks for your prompt advice.

I will open her up and check as soon as I can and keep you posted.

$_35.JPG
Look behind the cover like Pete said, make sure the pulley is tight and the locking parts have not fallen out

NOW IF Only the big twins were this easy as the right sided sport bikes (HD's)

At Anacortes Wa. Oyster Festival long ago. Carmen Tom, Original longtime owner of Down Town Harley
(old shop started in the early days Destroying old 40-50's- solid tail bikes to make Beautiful Choppers and also Selling JAWA's and other makes, including little Doodle-bugs the Flea at 45 pounds, of which was my first bike)

Taking me over to a side street that showed the New just out VICTORY bikes. Pointing out several Improvements and the difference of Victory bike compared to Big Twin Harley's.

Saying; "IF Only HD made and engineered a bike that took Less Mechanical work to replace the Belt and MANY other parts like the VICTORY... But HD's way: Lots of Labor", "it was nice to bring in the BIG money on the Tough repairs Needing his shop as Most owners would Not tackle that 5 hour repair".:D

Yes the sportster bikes (mine 06 R 1200) are much easier to work on in many instances than the Big Twin...:s

just say'n

signed....BUBBIE

Just INTERESTING and Read IF You Like...........

V92C[edit]
The first model, the V92C, was debuted at Planet Hollywood in the Mall of America by Al Unser, Jr. in 1997. Production began in late 1998, and the first official model year was 1999. At 92 cu in (1,510 cc), the V92C was the second largest production motorcycle engine available at the time, and sparked a race among motorcycle manufacturers to build bigger and bigger engines.[citation needed] All components for the V92C were manufactured in Minnesota and Iowa, except the Italian Brembo brakes and the British-made electronic fuel injection system. Victory engines debuted with five-speed transmissions (later six), single overhead cams, dual connecting rods, hydraulic lifters, and fuel injection; most fuel-injection components are standard GM parts. The V92C engine was designed to be easily tuned by the owner.
The 92 cubic inch Victory engine carries 6 US qt (5,700 ml) of oil in the sump, about the same as most automobiles. This is intended to minimize risk of low-oil damage, but also makes it dimensionally larger than other motorcycle engines, such as Harley-Davidson, which carry oil in tanks. The sheer volume of oil can also impede engine performance in a racing environment. Top speed is about 120 mph (190 km/h) at 5,500 rpm; the ECM contains a rev limiter which can be overridden by reprogramming the EPROM. The Victory engine is air-cooled, and also circulates crankcase oil through a cooler mounted between the front frame downtubes. A section of the rear swingarm can be removed to change the drive belt or the rear wheel.
The motorcycle's designers had approached several European manufacturers, particularly Cosworth, about designing and producing the engine, but ultimately decided to design and build it in Osceola, Wisconsin. Several variations on engine-frame geometry were tried until the best configuration was found, with the crankshaft geometrically aligned with the axles, a concept developed by Vincent Racing in the late 1950s.[citation needed] The V92C weighed about the same as a Harley, approximately 650 lb (290 kg). The original V92C engine produced about 55 hp (41 kW) at the wheel; with high-performance cams and pistons, this could be boosted to 83 hp (62 kW) and torque of 86 lb·ft (117 N·m).
In 2002, the Freedom Engine was introduced. It had the same dimensions as the old engine but higher power output, and with rounded cylinders and smaller oil cooler it was much more attractive visually. The V92C became known as the Classic Cruiser, and was phased out of the model lineup after the 2003 model year, but remains a favorite with Victory riders.[citation needed] There was also a Special Edition version featuring special upgrades in 2000 and 2001 model years, and Deluxe models for several years.

V92SC SportCruiser[edit]
Offered in 2000 and 2001, the V92SC SportCruiser offered higher ground clearance, adjustable via a simple 2-position bolt setup on the frame under the seat. It met a weaker than expected market, and did not sell well.
V92TC Touring Cruiser[edit]
Offered from 2002 through 2006, the TC featured a longer swingarm, large hard saddlebags, a re-designed seat, and sometimes the new Freedom Engine. The relatively tall seat height and roomy ergonomics made the bike ideal for larger riders. The Freedom Engine displaced 92 cu in (1,510 cc), but put out significantly more power and torque than the original engine. The 2002 model and later TC also accepted the 100 cu in (1,600 cc) big-bore kit, which increased torque further with the addition of upgraded exhaust. Later models featured rubber mounted handlebars and revised suspension settings. Deluxe versions (V92TCD) were also available with extra features popular at the time. With the deletion of the Touring Cruiser at the end of the 2006 model year, the last of the original V92 motorcycles was retired from the lineup.
Vegas[edit]
In 2003, Victory introduced the Vegas. The Vegas was designed by Victory designer Michael Song, and offered a totally new chassis design. The Freedom engine carried forward from the TC, but the rest of the bike incorporated new features. The Vegas debuted with the 92 cubic-inch engine and 5-speed transmission, but was upgraded to a 100 cu in (1,600 cc) engine and 6-speed transmission for the 2006 model year. The Vegas Low has a 1 in (25 mm) lower seat, repositioned foot pegs, and handlebars 2 in (51 mm) further back than the regular Vegas model.[4]
The Vegas is considered part of Victory's Custom Cruisers.[5]

Added Information......for above POST:D

signed....BUBBIE

Hi!

I finally got to open the cover to check things up.

To ease access, as suggested in the manual, I proceeded to remove the exhaust as suggested by the manual.
That's when the trouble started; the screws at the bottom of the exhaust were totally stuck and I had to struggle for a couple of hours to get them off...

After removing the cover I noticed that the belt was totally loose.
Somehow, the axle adjuster on the belt side was missing and the axle had moved itself at an angle and caused the belt to be loose.

On checking the belt it seems OK.

I'm breathing a sight of relief as the price of an axle adjuster is a lot less than that of a new transmission.

I will take the opportunity that I have the Bike on a jack and that I had to remove some pieces to give it a thorough check and clean-up before starting this year riding.

Jack, how do you keep everything behind that cover so immaculate?
I was going to post a pic but I'm too embarrassed and it would give you nightmares

Thanks for your advice.

Jacks retired now and he has lots of time to clean behind the cover often!:rofl

No, just kidding of course. I'll bet Jack just shared a picture of a brand new one.....

It is good to know that it is something simple and easily fixed
On reassembly a wee bit of copper grease on the exhaust mount bolts will make them easier to remove next time

Brian

Back