free website stats program Clacking Noise From Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Clacking Noise From Clutch

fpd4308

I was riding down the road today cruising in 5th gear and all of a sudden my bike shuddered and I began hearing a "clack clack clack" sound. of course I pulled over and the sound stopped. I drove just a bit further and ran through all the gears and all seemed to work fine but still heard the clacking. When I pull in the clutch the clacking stops but I hear a high pitch whine. I am getting ready to pull the clutch apart but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions nefore I get started. Maybe a broken pressure plate?\ rattling around in the clutch basket?

Sorry I should also add that it is a dry clutch and belt primary.

Well I think I found a highly likely possibility. I took of the filler plug to the transmission side cover, which is suppose to have a dipstick attached and to my suprise...no dipstick. The dipstick must have fallen off into the side cover. Now I guess I just have to open up the side cover and see what kind of damage was done, hopefully little or none, inside there. This is the part where I would insert many swear words........

Well final verdict....the dipstick went through the hole in the transmission side door and got eaten by the transmission...fortunatley it was made of super cheap metal. So now I am using my magnet to get all the metal pieces out of the tranny. Looking through the side door it doesnt look like any damage to gears so I guess I will just spend the next few hours with the flashlight and magnet collecting metal through the side door hole....good times

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think I found a highly likely possibility. I took of the filler plug to the transmission side cover, which is suppose to have a dipstick attached and to my suprise...no dipstick. The dipstick must have fallen off into the side cover. Now I guess I just have to open up the side cover and see what kind of damage was done, hopefully little or none, inside there. This is the part where I would insert many swear words........

Bro, please also post this under general topic or even touring section. There have been several threads and opinions about cutting the dipstick off before this happens. Sorry to hear about your situation and lets hope things will be just fine.

Back