free website stats program CKP code | Harley Davidson Forums

CKP code

TommyB17

2000 FXDWG here. Late last year the bike just stopped running after getting hot. Happened a couple of times, would start back up after it cooled off a little bit and run for a while, then quit again. The last time involved a little accident and a broken shoulder, but that's another story. Had the bike trailered home, after the shoulder healed I patched the bike up and pulled the codes, came up 41, CKP. Replaced the sensor, ran the bike through the required starts and the code cleared. Been riding the bike now for a few weeks and some long rides, no problems, and no codes. Yesterday the neutral light didn't come on, checked the wiring, the ground wire to the neutral switch had come off. Must have knocked it loose while replacing the CKP sensor, and it finally worked itself off. Put it back on, turned the ignition on and voila- green neutral light. Great. BUT- then the historic trouble code light came on. Pulled the codes again, came up 41, CKP, again. This without having started the bike. I then started it up, ran just fine. Now, the question: that neutral switch wiring doesn't run through the CKP harness. Any ideas why the code would show up given these facts? Not likely that a brand new sensor would go bad already, is it? Thanks for any thoughts you may have. And sorry for the long-winded post.

-Tom

BUT- then the historic trouble code light came on.

I don't understand what you mean by "historical light". You mean the 4 sec, 4 sec, 8 sec,,then OFF sequence?

When the sensor was replaced, the code probably went from a current code to a historical code. It takes 50 engine cycles (engine started for at least 30 seconds and then turned of) before the historical code clears.
Is it possible your still under the 50 cycles? If you are, that would explain why you still see the code.

I do mean the historical code, the one that remains on for 8 seconds after the 4 second initial light. After replacing the CKP sensor a few weeks ago I did the 50 start, 30 second cycle to clear the historical code since I don't have a Scanalyzer to do it, and the code cleared. It only reappeeared after I last night reinstalled the neutral switch ground lead that had come off the neutral switch. I hadn't even started the engine, just turned the ignition on, and up pops the 8 second historical code, MANY start and run cycles after the previous code had cleared.

Update: notwithstanding the magically reappeaing 41 historic trouble code, the bike seemed to be running fine so i rode it to work with a couple of stops in between. ran fine. Completely unrelated, but for yuks I ran the gas until the bike sputtered and died, then put it on reserve and cranked the engine until the bike started agin. Guess what- the historic trouble code was gone! Fewer than 10 start/run cycles since the code reappeared. Drove the bike this morning, no code and no problems. Weird.

I agree, that is weird in a few different ways. You probably already have but I would also check the connectors at the ignition module. (pins clean & tight)

I doubt the crank sensor check performed by ignition module is that complex. It's probably only an "open" or "short" test. (?) Don't know for sure-just guessing.

I did make sure all the pins in those godawful deutsch connectors were good and clean before I put them back together, they got pretty gooped up when I wrapped the ends in electrical tape to get them through the needlehole in the frame under the seat. There has to be a better way. But the bike's running fine now with no codes, so I'm going to chalk it up to gremlins unless/until it happens again. Thanks for the input.

-Tom

Back