free website stats program Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring

Being it is a 6 gallon tank and they are not able to be retrofitted to the 5 gallon mounts, yes they mount differently.

Don't know what you are looking for here?

The way Smitty stated it ,it sounded like they had gone away from the two bolts in front one bolt in the rear mount they use. I was curious if they had .

Go for the hard wire unless there's a reason to remove it when you park the bike up somewhere (like radar detectors).

For powering a satellite radio receiver, the kit has wires with an inline fuse box for hard wiring into the electrical system. But they also have a cigeratte outlet plug for powering the receiver and since the plug is right below where i will mount the receiver it would be easier to power it from the outlet. Is this an acceptable/safe way to run power to the unit? Thanks

I hard wired power to my XM.

Behind the head light there is a switched power wire (orange) and a ground wire (black) with female connectors on the end. I used 16-14 insulated disconnects on the radio wires, which with a little push, plug right onto the factory plugs. You can get the at your local auto parts store like Autozone.

Just feed the wires through the holes in the innner faring. Be sure and get some small wire ties to secure the wires to the handle bar and inside the fairing.

To make sure you have cleareance and a neater job, it's easier to remove the outer faring to install. Only seven screws to remove. I also ran the XM output wire through the innner faring to the radios AUX input.

It may sound complicated but actually if you take your time it's a piece of cake. :D

Assuming 09 is same as 08, I reallydon't like using the cig lighter. The reason is very simple, turn steering full left and you crush whatever is plugged in.

Assuming 09 is same as 08, I reallydon't like using the cig lighter. The reason is very simple, turn steering full left and you crush whatever is plugged in.

Thats a very good point sgdiesel, you sound like you're speaking from experence! It's certainly something I would have not thought of.

The use of Cigar/Accessory outlet or hard wire is a matter of personal preference and application, but that 12V plug/receptacle is BULKY and as stated earlier can interfere physically if not checked and properly mounted ahead of time. There are some "power adapter" cords made for smaller plugs like the mini USB type (my TOM-TOM and cell phone come to mind), which is a nice tidy and SMALL plug/jack and it disconnects if pulled smartly (which may be desirable).

I chose for the TomTom the cigar/acc plug only because I wanted to be able to move 'cross several vehicles, but they do make a lighter plug/USB jack that could plug in and work so one could use your USB to device cord with good results.

If portability is not your bag, hardwiring (w/fuse in line) is best and you can control cord routing and ensure solid connections for the life of the machine.

My XM radio receiver is a 6 volt unit. The power head of the cord contains the voltage reduction so if I hard wire I would have to mount a lighter socket inside my fairing.

It can be powered that way but the choice is up to you if you want the plug sticking out verses the hard wire setup.

In case anybody is looking for a way to hardwire a GPS:)

I'm too new to post the link, but if you do an eBay search for the following, it will come up: Hardwire Cable for MAGELLAN CROSSOVER & ROADMATE 2000

This is what I used to hardwire my Magellan Crossover GPS to my V-Rod. It drops the voltage to 5V.

Back