free website stats program Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring | Harley Davidson Forums

Cigarette outlet vs. hard wiring

Rubbit

For powering a satellite radio receiver, the kit has wires with an inline fuse box for hard wiring into the electrical system. But they also have a cigeratte outlet plug for powering the receiver and since the plug is right below where i will mount the receiver it would be easier to power it from the outlet. Is this an acceptable/safe way to run power to the unit? Thanks

It can be powered that way but the choice is up to you if you want the plug sticking out verses the hard wire setup.

thanks glider, from what ive read that running wires up under the tank to the plug under the seat is a real pain. and since the outlet is down out of the way on the left side, it should not be a eyesore. i figure ill shorten the amount of wire to clean it up as much as possible.

thanks glider, from what ive read that running wires up under the tank to the plug under the seat is a real pain. and since the outlet is down out of the way on the left side, it should not be a eyesore. i figure ill shorten the amount of wire to clean it up as much as possible.

It's not that hard,tak your seat off,undo the rear tank bolt ,loosen the front two and put a 2x4 under the rear tank mount, this willgive you enough room to run the wiring and cable tie it to the existing harness

Just don't lift the tank to high or hard or you hear a "snap" when the fuel line breaks.:s

$42 part.

Just don't lift the tank to high or hard or you hear a "snap" when the fuel line breaks.:s

$42 part.

Thats where the 2x4 comes in that 1 1/2" seems to be about right without stressing anything

Only lift the tank high enough to pass the wires through using a snake or something similar.

You didn't answer the question. Do the 09s mount different as Smitty said? ( after thinking about it this response sounds grumpy it's not meant to be just curiousity as to whether they changed the tank mount)

Back