free website stats program cigarette lighter not working | Harley Davidson Forums

cigarette lighter not working

Walnut22

The plug on my fairing quit working. I have checked the fuses and don't find any bad ones. Any suggestions on what to check?

Take a test light and check the center probe for voltage. The ign. switch must be on or on access. for it to work. The outer casing is the ground.
tourbox

Check the fuses with a meter or a test light. Those tiny fuses can be blown but still look good to the eye.

Could be the element in the lighter it's self. Remember how the lighter in your car would go out just for something to do!

I hate electrical problems but then again, they usually are a lot cheaper parts wise to fix than mechanical ones.

Are you using the lighter for a power point for a electronic device?

Take a test light and check the center probe for voltage. The ign. switch must be on or on access. for it to work. The outer casing is the ground.
tourbox

Seems to me my 97 FLHT was hot all the time, might be my imagination:p

yes I had my phone charger plugged in to it.

That might have done something to it, like overheated it. In my manual it says not to use the cigarette lighter outlet for anything other than the lighter. I've got another outlet in my tour pack for charging phones, etc.

Back