free website stats program cigarette lighter blowing fuses | Harley Davidson Forums

cigarette lighter blowing fuses

Hi guys looking for a bit of help here . I have a 2006 street glide ...few days ago the lighter went out ...so i picked up a good marine one hooked it up .......turn the ignition on bike not running ....it works great . Start the bike push the lighter in and it blows the fuse ....works fine when the motor is not running....blows the fuse when it is running .....any help from anyone would be great . thanks

Maybe the vibration running is causing element to short against socket and blows fuse?????

Couple of questions for you, ok three:)

1. When the original lighter went bad, did the lighter itself go bad or was it too blowing fuses?
2. Did you replace with a simple 2 wire lighter or one with more wires?
3. Are you sure the new lighter is actually working when the bike if off or is it just not blowing the fuse until the bike is started.

the original onejust went bad ...no fuse problem . I did replace with just a 2 wire .and yup the red rings on my thumb are telling me the new one is working for sure when the bike is not running :)

Is the marine socket you purchased for use as a lighter or additional power source??? Usually see the reverse when using lighter for additional power for GPS,Radar detector etc. Possible if socket is additional power outlet and not lighter the element may not fit properly and shorting against socket while bike is running. My best guess......:s

Sounds like dbmg may be on to something. And that is one way to check if it is indeed working! :newsmile03:

Try bending tabs on element or try factory socket and element .

Be careful to inspect how the receptacle goes together and attaches to the panel...could have the outside shell grounded to an "alternate" ground in the panel. So when your in RUN mode, that additional backfeed current is providing a path that is doubling the current available to the main feed, enough to blow the single series fuse.

Back