chrome switch covers

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by B.A., Aug 14, 2010.

  1. B.A.

    B.A. Banned

    9
    0
    0
    Anyone switch out the black switch covers for the chrome.Was it a hard job to do.
     
  2. fatboy se

    fatboy se Member

    32
    16
    0
    it is a job,i've changed out three. broke the bright/dim button on the last one.
     
  3. BlackG30

    BlackG30 Member

    85
    0
    0
    I did. Not hard job at all. But be very careful when changing the right one. The placement of the recommend piece of cardboard or something to protect the brake light switch is CRITICAL. Otherwise, you will damage the rubber protector of that switch and your rear brake light will be permanently on. Learning from my own errors.
    [​IMG]
     
  4. caseyleiser

    caseyleiser Active Member

    128
    26
    0
    yeah I,ve done it, get,s a bit tough if you,ve got big clumsy hands. Watch for the shim in the brake side one. Make sure it,s reinstalled. Ask me how I know.:bigsmiley22:
     
  5. NYSDEUCERIDER

    NYSDEUCERIDER Active Member

    143
    0
    2
    Just swapped out the ones on my Deuce. A little bit on the tedious side, but so worth the time! I was very glad that I spent time with my morning coffee a while back and researched it. Without a Service Manual (shame on me!) the info I gathered from 'our' forum was like GOLD! And yes, that shim WAS a surprise - - - glad I was being watchful! *LOL*
     
  6. sprinklerfitter669

    sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

    982
    0
    5
    Just did mine on my RK.
    A Little frustrating on the right side, because of the bracket inside the switch housing. you have to pull the switches all the way out to change.

    took about 1:15 to do the right side, and about 45 min to do the left

    TIP: push the black jacket on the wiring harness up away from the switches as far as you can, and spread the wires, makes it easier to remove the switches from the housing
     
  7. blackant

    blackant Member

    18
    0
    0
    I just did it yesterday. Make sure you try to free up as many of the switch parts as you can. I ended up breaking the clips to the starter switch so I had to gorilla glue the switch to the housing. It was a very tedious job and took a lot longer than I expected (1.5-2 hours)