free website stats program Chrome switch cap replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome switch cap replacement

sprinklerfitter669

Has anybody changed out their black switch caps to the chrome ones?
I almost bought them yesterday, and the parts guy told me that he thought it was something very tricky to do, and recommended the service department to do.
I looked at the instruction online, and i does not seem that bad????
Any tips tricks or recommendations from anybody

It's pretty easy to do just unsnap the black ones and snap in the chrome ones. If you have a rocker switch on yor bike be careful not to lose the spring. The biggest problem I had was putting the switch housing back on the bars, they never seem to go back on as easy as they come off.
Craig

When I bought my 2001FLTH it was the first thing I done.It takes about 45 min to an hour for each side.The hard part is getting all the wires and clips to fit back in the tight spots that they came out of.

Be very careful of the rubber plunger for the brake. Don't loose the wedge for the switch. Use the wedge to pull the black covers off for the selector and volume switch and lastly be very careful putting it all back together. Like ccaig said they just do not want to go back together the same way. Took me about a hour each but I am not a gear head like some others and I sometimes need alittle break to punch something.LOL.

One more thing to watch, be sure you don't pinch a wire when you put the housing back on. :) Experience talking there. :s LOL, I wish I had found this forum before I did the switch caps. :D

Seriously, I did mine and helped hubby with his while he had his shoulder in a sling. :) He helped me find & repair my pinched wire. It isn't hard, just tight. I love the look with the chrome switch caps.

I just put them on my electraglide , be careful , also watch the position of your hi lo and you run and off buttons , becareful to makesure the splines are lined up and the positioning of your turn signals are in the same place , do not be in a hurry take an hour and don't use too much pressure

I've done the chrome caps on mine (2007 Ultra), a buddy's (2009 Ultra), and my son's (2010 Ultra Limited). I think it gets easier each time, but like joyflyin says, be careful you don't pinch a wire. Also, the black caps come off a lot easier than the chrome ones go on, and watch out for the small springs on the rocker-type switches. One thing I've noticed is that the push-on caps for the radio/cruise require alot of pressure to get on, almost to the point that you think they are going to break, but they do go on. Timing wise, I would agree that it is about 45 minutes to an hour per side.

Also make sure you have a clean area to work, in case small parts fall out, like the copper wedge spring that backs up the brake switch tight to the button side opposite and remember to shim that brake handle lest you damage the switch nib and have no stoplight when pressing brake handle...:small3d015: Not that noone has ever crawled on a garage floor looking for the pesky dropped part...:52:

Sent my switch housings, levers, lower fork legs and hardware, and coffee cans off to chrome masters last christmas. Went and bought the chrome switches to put on (much cheaper to just buy them). The hardest part to doing all of this was the switch swap. Take your time and breathe. Don't get in a rush and know that it all came out of there, it all has to go back in........some how.........??!!??
You'll get it done.

well ijust finished it up
changed the switches out to chrome on my RK.
A Little frustrating on the right side, because of the bracket inside the switch housing. you have to pull the switches all the way out to change.

took about 1:15 to do the right side, and about 45 min to do the left

TIP: push the black jacket on the wiring harness up away from the switches as far as you can, and spread the wires, makes it easier to remove the switches from the housing
also make sure to use the cardboard insert for the brake, and on mine, i had to do it for the clutch
And DONT lose the copper wedge, on the brake side

Back