free website stats program Chrome slider install? | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome slider install?

iamdent

So bro duc wants to go chrome front side. How big a deal is it to change sliders on the rack without removing entire fork?

So bro duc wants to go chrome front side. How big a deal is it to change sliders on the rack without removing entire fork?

Probably possible, but way easier off the bike and on a bench!! And '06 ... Hmm, does that still have the cartridge on the left side, or is that the first year of the springs on both sides? I think you are safe!!:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I did the Chrome slider conversion from HD this past winter and wasn't bad at all but I did remove the complete forks from bike as I wanted to put new bushings and seals etc in at the same time. Mine is a 2000 with air ride. Trick that I learned was to get a long clamp (pistol style where you squeeze handle and it tightens) with fork mounted gently in vice or some other clamp mechanism so both your hands are free, you slide spring in and slip threaded in cap in place a top of fork. start snugging up clamp so its pressing the threaded top cap into the fork assy. Once you have it just touching start to gently turn cap so it grabs threads and starts to thread in. Once you have that you are good to go. They sure like nice with full chrome frontend. Hope that helps.
- BUM

There's no reason why it can't be done with the forks mounted in the trees on the bike. It's like having an extra hand and chances of scratching the new chrome are less.

Just remember to have the weight of the bike off the front end prior to removing the top caps of the forks or the spring under tension may throw that top cap a fair distance quite quickly and cause some damage

Brian

Back