Chrome shocks for a 2009 FXDC

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by shrini23, Jul 21, 2009.

1. shrini23

shrini23 Member

I ride a 2009 FXDC. Currently I've a stock rear shocks on the bike and I really liked the chrome shocks that is on a fatbob.
    I checked with the H-D dealership here and he told me that the chrome shocks length eye to eye is 11 3/4" and this is lower than 1" of the stock.

My only concern was that if I go for a chrome shock and a lower length will it affect the ride.

Also the part number from harley catalog is "54619-08" and it sells for 399.95$
    I checked on ebay for progressive 412 shocks which sells for 210$.

Can some of the expreince rider pls advise me which one to go for? I want one which longer lasting

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Progressive shocks are a better shock than the HD shocks. More control and better damping.

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

get progressive

4. shrini23

shrini23 Member

Thanks for your reply guys.
    I just had an online chat with one of the progressive guys and this what they told me over the chat room

"Then I would go with the 412-4042C which is a standard duty not the heavy duty. YOu may find the HD to be a little stiff if you ever ride solo.The 412-4046 will hold the weight no problems."

I'm 6'2" and weigh around 175lbs and usually i ride solo and sometimes I ride with my wife who weighs around 125lbs and she is 5'6".
    In this case should I go for a standard duty "412-4042C" (part number from progressive) or 412-4046C which is a heavy duty.

5. SilverFoXD

SilverFoXD Active Member Contributor

Recommend you go with the standard duty stocks. They will be the most comfortable for your solo riding and are fully adequate for the occasional two-up riding. You can always adjust the shocks for a stiffer or more relaxed ride.

I've used both standard and heavy duty on my various metric bikes and my Dyna. Solo weight is around 210# with occasional passenger and/or travelling gear and the standard is completely adequate.

Silver

6. shrini23

shrini23 Member

thanks guys for your help...
    I placed my order thru easterperformancemotorcycles in MD.
    Got the 412 serries 12" standard shock fully covered in chrome. Cant wait to install on my bike and beef up the look :D

7. neptune1230

neptune1230 Member

shrini23,
    How did the shock purchase turn out. Like you, I prefer the all chrome shock and am getting ready to purchase a set. Let me know the part # and how much you paid, and more importantly, how is the ride? thanks

8. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

He purchased from here Eastern Performance - Search Results for
    this is the page that comes up when you enter the part # he posted above:s

9. shrini23

shrini23 Member

Absolutely love it...These guys are really good as they give pretty good deals. The HD dealer price for a 12" chrome shock is 359+taxes...
    I got from "Easter performace" for 290 which included shipping...Cant beat that...

The performace is absolutely fine and lookwise I always get nice looks from ppl when they see the beefed up fully covered in chrome shock :D cant get better than that :D