Chrome Project

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Gezzer Glide, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Gezzer Glide

Gezzer Glide Active Member Contributor

Going from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]
    I found these at a local shop for $70. There not perfect but will do just fine and save me about $175

Had to make a few new tools to remove some bolts on the rear cylinder. I ground down a 7/16 and 1/2 in socket to fit a 7/16 end wrench. Will also be needed to set the torque on assembly.
    [​IMG]

2. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Looks like a good find and now you have some extra cash for more Chrome :D

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good score and pretty creative with the tools:s

4. mca1989

mca1989 Member

how are you going to torque it ?

5. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Could use the combination wrench as an extension to the torque wrench & then use a torque wrench extension chart.

6. Gezzer Glide

The reason I used a 7/16 wrench is because my torque wrench fits the box end of the 7/16 wrench. The book says if I keep the 2 wrenchs at 90* it will cancel the multiplier effect and not over tighten the bolts.

7. Gezzer Glide

Old and dull :(
    [​IMG]

New BLING :D
    [​IMG]

And for under $200

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Looks good Geezer!

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Looking good Geezer...and your special tool fab I would recommend you post it up in the "Home Made Tool" thread below...!:s

http://www.hdtalking.com/general_harley_davidson_topic/28113-home_made_tools.html

10. CalgaryBikeBum

CalgaryBikeBum Active Member

Geezer I recommend you keep all the old covers and parts. I used mine several times already for painting ? When you want paint heads and not have problems with trying to tape things off, just use those old rocker boxes etc and old non chrome bolts. Spray to your hearts content. when you remove the old covers , Voila' perfect clean surfaces for reassembly with your nice chrome parts. Hope that idea helps someone.