free website stats program Chrome pipe shields cleaning | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome pipe shields cleaning

vrodtomi

My chrome pipe shields on my V-rod are getting dirty and normal cleaning is not doing it anymore. Specifically, I have some plastic bits that have burnt onto the pipe shields from boot soles/plastic bags that touched when the pipes were hot. Any experience as to how best to clean the chrome?

Thanks,
Tomi

I've had good results with lacquer thinners for removing the burnt on plastic and have heard of some using easy off oven cleaner to do it too but be careful not to get that on any other parts of the bike.

Use 0000 steel wool on the pipes to get rid of any burnt on crap. It takes it off and it does not scratch the chrome!:guitar

I'm with Glider on the lacquer thinner. just be careful and use it in a well ventilated area. The fumes can be wicked!

I had a plastic Wal Mart bag (another reason I won't shop at Wal Mart...lol ) on the highway fly up and wrap itself around my pipes...I got some of it off pretty fast...but lots was still there. I had tried absolutely everything to no avail. Then my wife said to me ( God Love her) what about some oven cleaner. I laughed at her of course..you know how us guys are. Anyway she hopped in the car and off she went to the grocery store...returned with the cold type oven cleaner, and said here try it...Well I did coz at this time i was just thinking what it was gonna cost for new exhaust. I followed instructions on the container...and guess what? they look brand new...Sooooooooo like my wife suggested we( meaning men) don't know everything. We used "Easy Off" for cold ovens.

Hey guys that oven cleaner solution worked like a charm!!! Thanks so much, put it on, let it work for 20 minutes, wiped it off, it was like a commercial. :) Very happy! So thanks again everyone, and for those of you on this side of the planet, Mr. Muscolo is the product!

Off to dirty the pipes some more now, it's sunny out!

Tomi

My chrome pipe shields on my V-rod are getting dirty and normal cleaning is not doing it anymore. Specifically, I have some plastic bits that have burnt onto the pipe shields from boot soles/plastic bags that touched when the pipes were hot. Any experience as to how best to clean the chrome?

Thanks,
Tomi
take a gas or propane tourch get that junk hot then wipe off with 00 fine steel wool then polish with hd chrome cleaner u might try this right after u shut her down

I've had the best luck getting that burned on rubber from boots and other things off my pipes with a product called "Road Rub" its like 7 or 8 bucks at the Harley shop. It comes in a small container that looks like your deodorant, but it really works well!

Back