Chrome or Polished

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ReefRider, Aug 19, 2010.

1. ReefRider

ReefRider Member

I am finally going to get some chrome wheels for the bike. When it comes to brake rotors I see that they have chrome rotors avilable as well. My question is wouldn't the heat from the brake pads cause the chrome to discolor or prematurely start to flake off because of the fricton, or is it that the chrome is hardened in some way to withstand all of this?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Chrome rotors are usually used on show bikes. If you want some good looking rotors that are gonna be functional, check our some floating stainless versions.

TQ

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

My front rotors are polished stainless steel and no problem with discoloration from heat.
    kemo

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Polished stainless is the way to go...chrome can pit or flake if wet acidic brake dust contacts them and leave that slurry in there. Quality stainless really does not rust, but poor stainless will in places...so check out some on guys who have the floating rotors, the ones with the rivets holding the hub portion to the disc. You can see at a glance which one is better...research is a very good thing.:D

Floating discs are not that expensive unless you buy all three at once...at $150 each or so, it CAN be expensive, but on the positive side, the replacements will likely last the lifetime of the bike. :newsmile04:

5. ReefRider

ReefRider Member

Thanks guys for the fast reply........going with the polished stainless

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I think you will be happy with that decision. Strongly suggest the floaters is funds permit.

TQ