free website stats program chrome lowers install | Harley Davidson Forums

chrome lowers install

Scrounger

I'm in the process of installing chrome lowers and RaceTech emulators. Over all its pretty easy but I have a hit a stumbling block on the reassembly.

First is seating of the slider bushing. All the how tos and other posts say to use a 2" piece of PVC to tap it in after you tapper the end of the PVC. Well the 2" PVC will not work with the forks on my FLHTK no matter how much I tapper it. The OD is just too big for the fork opening. What are other folks using to seat the bushing.

Also, do I have to replace both the slider and fork bushings on the forks even when they look like no wear on them. The bike is only two years old.

Maybe the 2" PVC is referring to the actual outside diameter of the PVC Vs. the actual trade size of 2", which is the inside diameter measurement?

You can use a brass punch if you are real careful, as far as the bushings, it is up to you,as long as you are this far you might as well, that way you know all the parts are new JMO

Iceman

I watched this video before and that is where I thought to use the 2" PVC. After going to HomeDepot and buying one, it wont fit in the lower to push the bushing or the seal into the lower. Maybe my forks on the FLHTK are different diameter. I guess I will try the brass punch method.

This is one of the best video documentaries on fork lowers & he uses std 2" PVC. I'm geting ready to swap mine to black & will let you know because I already bought the pipe...hope to work on it this weekend...

REPLACING STOCK HARLEY DAVIDSON FORK SLIDERS WITH CHROME - YouTube

I used a piece of 1"x4" scrap wood to seat my seal. Just gently tap and move around the seal a little at a time. When it was flush, I went to a punch type tool to get it below the groove. You can hear when it seats.

You could cut a ~3" piece off PVC & then saw vertical line from end-to-end so there's a "seam" to squeeze (make slight/smaller diameter) & tap w/rubber mallet into place. This is my plan-B...

I used a piece of 1"x4" scrap wood to seat my seal. Just gently tap and move around the seal a little at a time. When it was flush, I went to a punch type tool to get it below the groove. You can hear when it seats.

I like this answer, have used wood boards for all kinds of stuff like this. They are hard enough but won't damage the metal. You could even trim the wood down so it was just wide enough to go in after the flush part. It's still hitting on two sides to just move it a bit on each hit.

You could cut a ~3" piece off PVC & then saw vertical line from end-to-end so there's a "seam" to squeeze (make slight/smaller diameter) & tap w/rubber mallet into place. This is my plan-B...

This answer is very good too. After you get it where it will squeeze to size, then wrap the top end of it in tape to hold
it.

But in addition I've used various size sockets for stuff like this, I just wrap it with some duct tape to soften up the end a bit. But think the two above posts have better merit.

Iceman

I watched this video before and that is where I thought to use the 2" PVC. After going to HomeDepot and buying one, it wont fit in the lower to push the bushing or the seal into the lower. Maybe my forks on the FLHTK are different diameter. I guess I will try the brass punch method.

The FLHTK fork dia. should be 41mm = 1.61417 in.

Back