free website stats program Chrome Fork Lower Change? | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome Fork Lower Change?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
Been searching around and have a question about installing chrome fork lowers.
Can they be changed out without removing whole leg from the tree? I've seen some say yes, some say no. Which is it?

TIA,

Bodeen

Sure. Drain the oil, then remove the allen bolt that holds the slider to the damping rod. I find an impact wrench works best because the damping rod will turn inside the tube/slider. Some people even put oil in from the bottom.

Thanks Breeze. Just wanted to hear it from someone here. I couldnt figure out why you couldnt but wanted to make sure. I will definately be pulling new oil in from the bottom. I got the new seals and new drain plugs. Probably dive into it Christmas week.

Thansk again,

Bodeen

I would think it would be tough to get the seals in with the uppers on the bike, but doable, I had to pound pretty hard to get them in on my bike and that was all unassembled

You should have no problem like Breeze said, if you don't have the two piece fork seal driver you can pick up a short piece of PVC pipe the same ID as your fork tubes and cut it in half so you can pound the new seals in without taking the fork tubes off the bike.

Thanks Chop. My plan is to do just that with the PVC.

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas to you and all at "The Garage".

Bodeen

Back