free website stats program Chrome bars v's stainless bars | Harley Davidson Forums

Chrome bars v's stainless bars

DANNY MC

Just a quick one,is there any advantage to havin Chrome bars as to Stainless,or is it just personal choice, put Fat Boy bars on my 09 Heritage and went for Chrome as they matched the rest of the front end better than the stainless,had noticed a slight tinge in the shine on the stainless so thought Chrome would look nicer,gonna take more cleanin but what the heck!!:lero

Nice one Hobbit,4got to mention the Chrome is also a little cheaper,do you know why ? should of asked really...

For hidden areas that are "frequented" by moisture, I would go with stainless, they are "goldish" because of the nickel/chromium alloyed to the steel, and yes chromium electroplated parts are cheaper...but they DO shine...! :D

What about strength? Is one type of steel stronger, thus less likely to snap? If so, it might be significant, the higher the apes.

Stainless should be stronger there is no ferrous component in it so wont rust and is non magnetic
ideal if you live in a wet climate

Brian

The only thing I can think of is the stainless while is stronger than steel, it's also brittler than steel, that's means it can also "break off" easier than steel, so... IF(it's a Big IF) for some reason you drop your bike for whatever reason, the steel handle bar will get bend but still "rideable" and the stainless one might broke off. Though.

I can't speak for these bars, but I can speak for stainless. There are many grades of stainless, many of them do contain iron, and will rust slightly, but this is easily polished off. Typically, most grades of stainless are weaker than steel, too soft for many high strength applications. (No stainless is strong enough for a rod bolt). But it is used around salt water for it's corrosion resistance. Chrome itself is much harder than steel or any grade of stainless, but is used as a plating. Thin plating will rust through over time, and many have already seen. A good application will last indefinitely. But unless you have access to a metalurgist, or have a very reputable chromer, you don't know what you are buying.

Stainless should be stronger there is no ferrous component in it so wont rust and is non magnetic
ideal if you live in a wet climate

Brian

Of course there is ferrous in it, it is steel. Steel is made from ferrous (iron). Actually stainless has a very small magnetic quality that you can't see with a regular magnet. Magnets don't stick to stainless because it has a very high nickle and chrome content compared to the iron. Typical stainless has about 50% ferrous(iron)

The nickle and chrome is what makes it stain and rust resistant, and, because of how the nickle, chrome and carbon crystals interlock with the ferrous, it is stronger that regular carbon steel.

It's mostly personal preference. The stainless will not have rust problems but it will tarnish. The chrome will be brighter and shinier but won't be as strong. It's still just a matter of personal preference and cost.

Back