free website stats program choosing betwin fork type replacement on 02-05 touring | Harley Davidson Forums

choosing betwin fork type replacement on 02-05 touring

fabrozor

choosing between fork type replacement on 02-05 touring

Hello,

I have a 2005 FLHTI.
As you know the 2002-2005 FLHT/FLT models are equipped with a damper-rod type fork on right side and a cartridge fork on the left side.

"Progressive" sells Cartridge replacement #31-2500 and says :
(
Our state of the art Monotube Fork Kit represents the pinnacle of bagger front end handling. High performance specialty components replace the sloppy open bath damping found in HD forks. The kit features a set of gas charged Monotube dampers and a set of custom tuned fork springs.
)

I also saw on this forum athread about "Cartridge_fork_elimination" (sorry i'm not allowed to post web links)

Well, i have 2 questions :

1)
Why did harley put a different fork type in left and right tubes ???

2)
As i'm thinking about my fork maintenance at 40400 miles, i don't anderstand the good and the bad between replacing my fork with both left + right "cartridge" or both left + right "oil and spring" type.

Thanks for your explanations.

Last edited:
Just last weekend, I attended a Winters Workshop at J&P Cycle.
A rep for Progressive was there and he had the new Monotube Fork Kit with him.
Looked tempting.....
Don't even have to fill with fork oil. Just a little for lubrication.
No more fork oil changes.

I personally would (and intend to) replace the cartridge system with the more traditional setup described in the link Glider provided above:

Cartridge Fork Elimination. - Harley Davidson Community

It makes changing the fork oil MUCH easier. Having the new system in place allows you to change the fork oil if YOU choose to customize the feel of the ride.

TQ

The cartdridge replacement kit is a 340$ solution + shipping to france + VAT taxes

Few days ago i started with the link you gave about converting the fork with traditionnal coils both sides.
As my english skill is not very good i started by ordering a pair of sliders on ebay and i paid them.
Then i realised i didn't need those sliders and i had to manage to cancel the trade and get my money back.
:newsmile026:

See here especially:

"You can replace the both fork legs with 2 matching fork legs PN 46502-06 (right $186.84) and 46495-06 (left $186.84) which are complete fork assemblies with fork tubes, sliders and internals with fluid too and just install them on the bike and be done with the cartridge problem forever."

This is the way I am going to go. You can probably get a good price on these from Zanotti's, Chicago HD, or Biker Bob's. Depends on who would ship to France.

TQ

Yes i saw this $184 + $184 solution in the thread.
This is the references i looked for, on internet.
I did not find photos on Zanotti website so i was not shure how this reference was looking for.
I found it with "google.com" on Latus website ( FORK ASSY, FRONT, RH, 46502-06, FORK ASSY, FRONT, RH ) but they sell $260 + $260 but without photo either.
I found photos on ebay, but that was the sliders only.

As the Progressive cartdridge kit is given for 100,000 miles and i wouldn't make mistakes, i think i'll stick with the cartdridge.

Thank you for you help guys.

It makes changing the fork oil MUCH easier. Having the new system in place allows you to change the fork oil if YOU choose to customize the feel of the ride.
TQ
Per the Progressive Suspension rep, fork oil isn't needed.
Only a small amount for lubrication.
Didn't even have to be fork oil. He said any, even cooking oil was sufficient for the lube. Naturally I'd use some fork oil but according to him, fork oil replacement was a thing of the past with this setup.

Back