free website stats program Choosing a new seat | Harley Davidson Forums

Choosing a new seat

ChiroRick

There are alot of variables that come into play when it comes to seat selection. Riding style (joy riding, day trips, road trips) rider height/weight, etc. Since I am new to HD's, I've been giving my stock seat on my 08 FXDC a chance to prove itself. 219 miles yesterday, and it proved less than worthy. I do mostly cruising around town when I ride, and day trips on the weekends, but I really live for those few weekend trips and a week or two road trip each year, which is usually what I gear my bikes towards.

That being said, I've been told that the Sundowner seat is an excellent selection for long rides. The stock seat wasn't excruciating, but I definetly felt it in my lower back, as well as my tailbone, whereas I've never had any low back soreness on other bikes I've owned. I'm looking at a seat for 300-500 mile days. Suggestions?

I have the stock seat on my scoot but I put the back rest on and it made a world of difference. On my rice burner I put on a Mustang seat with back rest and really liked it over stock. I could put alot more miles behind me with comfort.:D

maybe a change of derriere would help-sorry-couldn't resist that one.
I have found over the years that sometimes if you perservere with the stock set up your muscles and body adapt.
I have had some success with gel pads and also sheepskin covers in hot conditions.
From your post, it might be the riding position not the seat.
I tend to ride in roughly 180 mile sessions, then take a break to refuel have a coffee or take on water.
I also believe in doing mild workouts to tone muscles for riding-it seems to work for me.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe a change of derriere would help-sorry-couldn't resist that one.
I have found over the years that sometimes if you perservere with the stock set up your muscles and body adapt.
I have had some success with gel pads and also sheepskin covers in hot conditions.
From your post, it might be the riding position not the seat.
I tend to ride in roughly 180 mile sessions, then take a break to refuel have a coffee or take on water.
I also believe in doing mild workouts to tone muscles for riding-it seems to work for me.
Hope that helps.

I'm 34, 5ft 10in, 175lbs, and exercise 5 days a week. I'm in pretty good shape for my age. It's the fact that the human body is not meant to ride a motorcycle all day long, and each person is different...there's not one good seat for every rider. Getting use to the stock seat could be a disaster if I'm 1500 miles from home and at my limit of how much more I can take!

I can afford a new seat...just want to know what ones to experiment with.

If you are looking for a Sundowner, I have a Sundowner deep bucket seat part #51540-06 that will fit your bike. I had it on an '08 Wide Glide for about 1000 miles and it was great but sold the bike. It is just like new, if you are interested I will let it go way cheaper than new, PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Here is a couple of pics of when I had the sundowner on my Wide Glide.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
Ditto w/Capital Jack on MCC seat mod. Stock HD design/padding is something to be desired & set-up by engineering/design. Adding double-memory foam, lowering riding position & shaving some pressure points really does the trick. Also...1/3 price of replacement seat...

If money is not a barrier then I would suggest a custom made seat. I have one made by Rich's Custom that came with the bike and wow what a difference.

Might look into that.

Back