Choosing a new seat

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by ChiroRick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ChiroRick

ChiroRick Member

There are alot of variables that come into play when it comes to seat selection. Riding style (joy riding, day trips, road trips) rider height/weight, etc. Since I am new to HD's, I've been giving my stock seat on my 08 FXDC a chance to prove itself. 219 miles yesterday, and it proved less than worthy. I do mostly cruising around town when I ride, and day trips on the weekends, but I really live for those few weekend trips and a week or two road trip each year, which is usually what I gear my bikes towards.

That being said, I've been told that the Sundowner seat is an excellent selection for long rides. The stock seat wasn't excruciating, but I definetly felt it in my lower back, as well as my tailbone, whereas I've never had any low back soreness on other bikes I've owned. I'm looking at a seat for 300-500 mile days. Suggestions?
  2. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I have the stock seat on my scoot but I put the back rest on and it made a world of difference. On my rice burner I put on a Mustang seat with back rest and really liked it over stock. I could put alot more miles behind me with comfort.:D
  3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. blueglide

blueglide Member

maybe a change of derriere would help-sorry-couldn't resist that one.
    I have found over the years that sometimes if you perservere with the stock set up your muscles and body adapt.
    I have had some success with gel pads and also sheepskin covers in hot conditions.
    From your post, it might be the riding position not the seat.
    I tend to ride in roughly 180 mile sessions, then take a break to refuel have a coffee or take on water.
    I also believe in doing mild workouts to tone muscles for riding-it seems to work for me.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  6. ChiroRick

ChiroRick Member

I'm 34, 5ft 10in, 175lbs, and exercise 5 days a week. I'm in pretty good shape for my age. It's the fact that the human body is not meant to ride a motorcycle all day long, and each person is different...there's not one good seat for every rider. Getting use to the stock seat could be a disaster if I'm 1500 miles from home and at my limit of how much more I can take!

I can afford a new seat...just want to know what ones to experiment with.
  7. 89stroker

89stroker Active Member

If you are looking for a Sundowner, I have a Sundowner deep bucket seat part #51540-06 that will fit your bike. I had it on an '08 Wide Glide for about 1000 miles and it was great but sold the bike. It is just like new, if you are interested I will let it go way cheaper than new, PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.
  8. 89stroker

89stroker Active Member

Here is a couple of pics of when I had the sundowner on my Wide Glide.

Attached Files:

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Ditto w/Capital Jack on MCC seat mod. Stock HD design/padding is something to be desired & set-up by engineering/design. Adding double-memory foam, lowering riding position & shaving some pressure points really does the trick. Also...1/3 price of replacement seat...
  10. mazetto

mazetto Member

If money is not a barrier then I would suggest a custom made seat. I have one made by Rich's Custom that came with the bike and wow what a difference.

Might look into that.