free website stats program Choose a bike, any bike? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Choose a bike, any bike?

As the old saying goes - there's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes. Be prepared. A dependable bike is fundamentally important, but if you're cold and wet on a $20,000 Ultra with all the bells and lights - you're still cold and wet..... Use some of your $$$ on good goretex clothing with some crash protection and a decent lid.

As the old saying goes - there's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothes. Be prepared. A dependable bike is fundamentally important, but if you're cold and wet on a $20,000 Ultra with all the bells and lights - you're still cold and wet..... Use some of your $$$ on good goretex clothing with some crash protection and a decent lid.

I second this advice. Rode back to Sturgis from Mt. Rushmore this year in 50 degree weather while I was wet from a rain shower. Thought I was going to freeze to death. Went out the next day and bought the clothes that I should have brought with me. Now, I always carry them in the saddlebags regardless of where I go for those big temperature changes, rain, heat, etc.

Yeb, weather 'cross the pond will give the rider a "jump" on what is important, once the ride goes beyond a few hundred miles. Temperature and weather changes make it important to have good preparation and reliable equipment. Do not want to be out in the middle of nowhere with out a bit of light (strap on headlights keep hands free), some small handtools kit, for a bit of roadside work as well (spare fuses, tire plug kit, etc.), cellphone charger & GPS, canteen & snacks).

The bike is a given, there are plenty of bikes that will do the deed as Smitty says, but to make it a memorable one, you MAY want a good used bagger a couple years old, get the same enjoyment and not be out the cash while you work whatever skill set and touring style in to what you choose. Just don't make the long trip your equipment "shake down" cruise...you want to be riding awhile and get some good practice maneuvering your bike in some rather routine "tests" that occur with day to day riding. You want to be very well introduced to your machine and know how she handles when in knarly stuff as well as the super slab.

I agree the bike is the ultra, for that trip, and I wouldnt worry about being too comftorable after miles and hours on any bike I think a lot of us are aware of some of the discomforts youll feel. but dont get me wrong its a lot of fun Have a good time .: rider

Sorry for the late jump in
ANY bike... and I do mean any bike currently for sale will get you from coast to coast, with ease... maybe not comfort, but seats, handlebars, ans controls will help in most cases.
If you want to cross the country, and meet people across the way... look into a URAL.... (smile just kidding) while they are getting better, you might likely find your self doing side of the road repairs...while they aren't much fun at the time.... when you re-tell the stories, they really bring the crowds in

You might want to look into the "gently used" market... there are many Touring bikes that can be had for your price range. but they ain't new.

the Road Glide is MY favorite... but they aren't the most popular... this works in YOUR favor when buying a used one. A good clean FLTR will fetch a few grand less than the popular bikes like a road king, street glide, or the electra's. Same bike.. everything BUT the RG has the shark nose... which turns off some folks.

If you're budget minded... and you want a BIG bike....I'd road test one ASAP.. The best kept "secret" of the MOCO

Back