free website stats program Choose a bike, any bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Choose a bike, any bike?

100% appreciate the honesty. And definately good advice. and I said I'd love a bagger, or a bobber, I love them both, but price wise...an ultra is quite out of my price range....AMAZING bike....but I don't have that kind of money...wish I did, that would make this decision a little easier, I need to find a happy medium between price, practicality, and a bike i'll seriously love looks/feel wise.

Can you try out bikes at a dealer? Yeah I figured after a few days of riding I'll get used to anything, but then I just have to figure out about the price tag going along with it...I'm 20, I don't want to be too much in debt, I'd like to pay cash, in a few months, maybe a year I can afford about 10K.

Test drive them all but if you're serious about touring......I believe Walleye says it best; "eventually everyone will end up on an Ultra". I love mine and will never ride anything but an Ultra Classic.

I dunno what it will cost, but if you buy one, get a 09 or later if you can afford it. It will be much more than 10K. Earlier models are fine as well, but big difference in newer models as far as ride and handling IMO. If you can't swing it then get what you can afford. Sounds like you are going to live a dream. You have no idea what kind of memories you are about to unfold. You likley won't realize them until quite a few years after you do this.If you are truely going to take all the time you want, than take a little more time and test ride some bikes. You may not need an Ultra (yet). Just be sure you get one that fits you and you enjoy, keeping in mind the cargo you will need to carry. I got my Ultra as a result of annual trips we take and have no regrets. Priority one is Ride Safe so you can cherish the memories for a long time to come. Your a lucky dog!

Ok, I would go with a RK classic, nice look, hard leather covered saddle bags, you can put on a back rest and rack and take the the stuff you need for your trip, when you want to cruise open style, you can ditch the backrest, windshield and have an open road wind in your hair crusier. I had on the fly adjustable air shocks on the back. a jardine rider backrest that could move to passenger backrest in seconds. and all the room you need on the rack for packing extra stuff. Now when I was at bike events, it took about 10 seconds to take off the backrest, windshield and drop the back 2" for that low ride "look", transformed from touring to street in seconds. A bobber is nice, for bobbing around town, but you're gonna need to take some stuff with you. and all that wind for several hours a day, for me, that get's old real quick, but I can tell you, you will get wind, rain and anything out there, the windshield will help cut down on it, but not eliminate it. The ride, well, it's a harley, it's gonna make noise, vibrate, etc. it's not going to put you to sleep. too much of a good thing no matter how comfy is not good. you're gonna git saddle sore once in a while especially riding for hours and hours a day. I would also consider, what gear you gonna take with you, make a list, figure how to pack it and the best way to balance it all. I have a friend of mine, she's 90 Lbs, soaking wet 5'2" and she rides the heck out of her road king, even with her boyfriend 6'2" 200+ on the back, so if she can do it, I know you won't have a problem. One down fall I can tink of for the bobber or classic, spoke wheels, look great, but not tubeless, so if you're out in the middle of no where, you can't patch it and keep going. Tube less tires and a patch kit should be on your list, it will at least keep you going down the road. What ever you decide to ride, you're going to love the experience, all of it. Best Tom

I agree on the above. Ultra would be the best choice for 9 months. But if that much bike just isn't for you, I'd look at a Road or Street Glide.

Get the same creature comforts and a little "cooler" look.

I'm getting the removable tour pack hardware for my ultra because I love the Street Glide look but want the tour pack when I need it.

I agree with Smitty. Do your homework and get the bike that's right for you. As stated elsewhere when you get the bike with the way the economy is you might be stuck with it for a long while. On the flip side of that with the economy the way it is you can find some real good deals out there.

Thanks for all the good ideas and all that, I'll probably go with a Road King, there are plenty out there, I could find a good deal. I liked the idea of having all the quick removable stuff, and the fly adjustable shocks to give it all the looks I want, and the comfort I need. Thanks guys. It'll still be about a year till I can afford one though....you'll all say yes...but is it worth all that money? Why are they so expensive? I guess I won't know till I ride one....

Back