free website stats program Choose a bike, any bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Choose a bike, any bike?

I'm 20, taking a solo trip cross country for 9 months from March to November. Staying in a tent every night at state parks and national parks, no hotels or motels...
Right now I have my first bike, a 2003 Honda Shadow 750. I can't wait to upgrade to a Harley. But I'm not sure what bike to get. I love baggers, but I'm not too big a guy, about 6' 150 lbs. I know a road king is incredibly practical, but I don't know if I want this trip to be practical and easy. I'm sure most of you will say "be practical get a bike designed for cross country." I'm not into chrome and all that, I love a bobber, as well, I'm pretty diverse on the bikes I like, I'm not going to be going very far every day. I want to stop and meet as many people as I can and see and experience everything America has to offer. What do you suggest as a bike? None of my friends know anything about bikes, never-mind long trips, and neither do I, so you guys know best...help me out?

It is not the top of the line for travel but I would not trade my flstsi for any bike on the road. Heritage Springer full size.with it lowered a little amyone can handle it. Easy to stay up with any traffic. Love my bike.

That's the kind of answer I'm looking for. I know there are more ideal bikes than the Road King. I'm thinking i'll spend about 10k, and I've found a few '03 Road Kings for about that, but I've never taken a longer trip than about 3 hours, so I figure a Road King has a good amount of comfort, but I don't know how much comfort I want...I don't want to suffer either though. That's a nice looking bike by the way, very nostalgic looking with the springer front end. I'll keep that bike in mind. Thanks for the post!

im kinda jealous man wish i could go for that ride ,mayb when i retire lol but i guta tell you what ever harley you end up on you'r gona love it.
im 5'8 and got my road king classic (hard leather bags ) this summer and wow what a nice ride . about the same size and wieght as the heritage ( btw heritage springers are very cool ) but sit up alittle higher and have more room for stuff lol. guta ride some bikes man and see what you like ;-) thers lots to choose from . good luck with the search and the trip
peace man

Yeah, I figure I'll love any Harley, and yeah, I'm almost jealous of my own trip ha. I've felt compelled to cross the country since I was 14. I had plans to go in a truck but my friend bailed on me a month before we were going to go right out of highschool. So I decided to go solo and see everything I want to see. I just don't know how to ride all the bikes I want to before I make the decision. (by the way, I don't wnat to love it too much because I'm going to sell it in Texas or Arizona or something to buy a 47-53 Chevy pickup and take it Route 66 all the way home...maybe that's big dreaming...but it will happen if I want it to). Then once I'm home with the truck I'll buy another bike...unless I can afford the truck without selling the bike. (now that's ideal)

if you like bobbers and aren't worried about all the creature comforts of the glide line my suggestion would be try a crossbones. you get the look you like with the softail ride..

Yeah, I've been looking at the Cross Bones, and that's the look I like. I was thinking maybe a Street Bob, and then just do some touches myself maybe.? But I love that Springer front end...

ha man if you spend months on the road on what ever bike you get lol ,just man and machine, i dought you'l want to part with it ;-) thers a bond that happens , you'l see .

I can only imagine....Maybe I'll have to save a bunch of money and buy that chevy and sadly put the bike on the back....but at least I'll have it...and maybe save it forever?

Only 1 choice for that trip.An Ultra!9 months on the road will require serious luggage choices.No matter what scoot you choose to begin the journey you will find half way through all the bungie cording time you wasted would have been better spent looking for the right bike for the job.

Dont be intimidated by the wieght.My wife rides a Streetglide {she graduated from a 750 Shadow} and you dwarf her.Basic saftey items alone would fill up a bag for a 9 month trip.

You asked for advice, this is mine.Dont mess around with the bike you think looks the coolest.Get the 1 made for the job.

Back