free website stats program choking me out | Harley Davidson Forums

choking me out

ol' crusty

My brother's 88", carbed, '03 Super Glide wont run without patially pulling the choke out. The carb looks clean and the bike only has a little over 1000 miless on it. Help! I'm clueless.

My brother's 88", carbed, '03 Super Glide wont run without patially pulling the choke out. The carb looks clean and the bike only has a little over 1000 miless on it. Help! I'm clueless.

Whoa! A '88 is a 22 year old bike with only 1000 miles on it? That bike has been sitting. I agree, try a can of sea foam through it. But, I am thinking that as much as that bike has sat without being ridden, it is time to pull the carb off and disassemble and clean it! Seriously, it may be clean on the outside and inside the venturi, but I bet the inside of the fuel bowl looks like varnish!

Bob
Woodstock, GA

Last edited:
Whoa! A '88 is a 22 year old bike with only 1000 miles on it? That bike has been sitting. I agree, try a can of sea foam through it. But, I am thinking that as much as that bike has sat without being ridden, it is time to pull the carb off and disassemble and clean it! Seriously, it may be clean on the outside and inside the venturi, but I bet the inside of the fuel bowl looks like varnish!

Bob
Woodstock, GA

not 1988- 88cu in

I think he is saying that he has an 03 Super Glide with an 88 inch engine...

I agree the seafoam and other TLC related to the carb might be the thing to do.

I guess I need to read these a little slower!! HA! Having the run with the choke on says something is blocking the fuel. Bad gas, dirty gas, gum, sludge, something. I would still have that carb off there and apart on the bench......

While likely fuel system obstruction or poor gas picked up, with poor jetting less so....IF the bike was running and set up fine before getting to this degraded state. Could also be carbon/IC deposits sticking the CV Slide or plugging up small passages. A bit of Gumout Carb Spray cleaner strategically aimed in the carb may be a all that is needed. Drain the fuel bowl contents in a clear glass and check for debris.

Another possibility is a vacuum leak...so do check for little things using WD-40 to spray mating intake surface gaps listening for change in RPM and need for choke/enrichener...just a thought. I am one to troubleshoot down to two reasons to change out something, and use diagnostics rather than just throwing hardware or "shotgunning"...gets too expensive and wasteful that way.

Last edited:
Running only with the "choke" (enrichment) out points to the pilot jet and/or it's passages plugged from popping back through the carburetor. It needs to be taken apart to clean out the hardened carbon properly.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I have a 97 sportster 1200 with s&s carb and am having the same issue, wont idle or run unless the choke is 1/4 up. Just bought this bike and it did set for months prior to me buying got a lot of ideas from this post.

Back