free website stats program Chirping Pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Chirping Pipes

hd4evr

Banned
The exhaust (stock) on my Road King "chirps" like a bird when I'm sitting at a light just idling. It sounds like it's coming from where the mufflers connect to the head pipes, but it's hard to tell exactly. Chirping like a bird! Anybody have any ideas/fixes?

Pull over some where and with the pipes chirping, put your boot against a muffler and push a bit. If the chirping stops it is probably the rubber muffler mounts. Kind of like big grommets. If so, try some silicon lubricant where the rubber meets metal. Not a permanent fix but at least it tells you it is nothing to worry about.

Pull over some where and with the pipes chirping, put your boot against a muffler and push a bit. If the chirping stops it is probably the rubber muffler mounts. Kind of like big grommets. If so, try some silicon lubricant where the rubber meets metal. Not a permanent fix but at least it tells you it is nothing to worry about.

+1, that cured my dresser.

A squirt of WD40 on the rubber mount under the saddle bag of E Glide fixed it. A service tech recommended some kind of grease, said it would last longer. Can't remember the name of it now...

I'm thinking louder pipes might help too... :)

mine chirped it was the rubber gasket at the end of the muffler press at the end of the muffler it will go away replace grease wedge something next to the rubber to tighten it up good luck

Been using a Silicone spray for some time on those rubber mounts. My indie co. took the metal brace that runs through the rubber mount and turned it upside down to make it more snug. (both sides) A trick they have been doing. Haven't used the spray since.

Sprayed the rubber bushings that my mufflers hang from, and, BINGO..........no more chirping! Thanks guys!

Spray silicone is good, but silglide is better and lasts longer conditioning the rubber.Napa sells this product and it has many other uses being it is dilectric grease :s

Back