free website stats program Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, etc.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp, etc....

KrecoLuke

Hi gents,
I recently bought an '07 FLHTCU and love it except for one thing. Usually, regardless of speed or gear, whenever I decelerate, this "chirping" begins. Whenever I pull in my clutch, it stops immediately. Seems like a hint, to me. My HD wrenches tell me, it's the baffles, it's the mufflers, it' the primary, it's the clutch plates, it's the front wheel, ad nauseum. In most cases, no one agrees with the other.
I'm going to take it in next week and they said they'll go through it and try to figure it out. I really don't know what else to do.
I've looked through all the posts re: "chirping" and find myself bewildered!
So, the question is...has anyone in the forum had this problem and found out, for sure, what was causing it? I do have stock mufflers on at present and the previous owner knocked out the rears plugs probably trying to make it sound better. It don't. I've ordered new V&H Monster slip-ons, a Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air cleaner and V&H Fuel Pak which should be here the end of next week.
Maybe that will solve the problem but I have a nasty feeling in my gut saying it won't.
Any light you guys could shed on this mystery would surely be appreciated.
Thanks!

Larry

I have a feeling that it's exhaust related. Either from the attempt to make it sound better by the previous owner,or one or both of the mufflers aren't on to the pipes far enough and the slit in the leading end on the muffler is not covering the pipe completely thereby leaving a small opening for the exhaust to escape.
It's under the muffler clamp so you can't see it. One other way to tell is to loosen the muffler clamps and slide them forward on to the pipes without disturbing the position of the muffler and using a paper clip, run it in the slots in the muffler where it joins on to the pipe to see if it locates a small opening in the slit towards the rear of the bike. If it does, you just found your chirp. Position the mufflers further on to the pipe as to eliminate this opening and re clamp it torquing the clamps to specs.

You can put on some heavy gloves and start the bike up, then cover the exhaust outlets in both the mufflers at the same time. Any hissing that you hear would be the leak. Best to have a friend help you here so you can listen for the hissing and locate it if this is the problem.

Also check the header bolts where the pipes join on to the cylinders for tightness.

Hey Glider,
Thanks heaps for your response. You happen to concur with the Service Mgrs. opinion. If what you say is true how can applying the clutch cause it to stop?? That's where I'm "baffled"...heh heh...pun intended, I guess.
I'll have to check it out tomorrow as it's my bedtime.

Larry

hello, larry from larry check the tolerecne on the belt against the pulley and check the side edge of the belt and if you have a chome pulley or aftermarkey dress up mask it and glass bead the inside of pulley adjust belt and wala. this worx for me good luck .keep it up right .later.. ps if not light some sage and do a little dance to rid you of the evil ,.

Back