free website stats program checking tranny and primary oil's | Harley Davidson Forums

checking tranny and primary oil's

roach48

I own a 06 deluxe,I no where to check the engine oil,but where is or how do I check the tranny and primary.
I ordered another service manual but I would like to no where they are now because I ride my bike every day.
THANKS

The trans should be in the end cover on the trans itself. There's a large allen hex plug there and the dipstick is on the inside of that plug.

The primary you check with the bike upright and the oil should be to the outer edge of the clutch hub the silver part as shown by the arrow in this pic.

Starterdrivefill.jpg

I didn't think so,I found my little book that came with the bike but no illustration.
Still reading.

The trans should be in the end cover on the trans itself. There's a large allen hex plug there and the dipstick is on the inside of that plug.

The primary you check with the bike upright and the oil should be to the outer edge of the clutch hub the silver part as shown by the arrow in this pic.

Starterdrivefill.jpg
2006 bike? Shouldn't all the fluid levels be checked with the bike on a level surface resting on the side/kick stand?

2006 bike? Shouldn't all the fluid levels be checked with the bike on a level surface resting on the side/kick stand?

They have changed the procedure and it's hard to keep up with it now.Some on the side stand and some straight up when you check it.

Your safest way lets say for checking the primary oil is as described above to the bottom of the clutch basket for best shifting straight up.
They have increased the fluid amounts in the newer bikes in the primary but again the safest way to just check the oil is to the bottom of the basket.
Too much oil in the primary will cause hard shifting and trouble finding neutral.

It should tell you in the owners manual the proper way to be sure.

They have changed the procedure and it's hard to keep up with it now.Some on the side stand and some straight up when you check it.

Your safest way lets say for checking the primary oil is as described above to the bottom of the clutch basket for best shifting straight up.
They have increased the fluid amounts in the newer bikes in the primary but again the safest way to just check the oil is to the bottom of the basket.
Too much oil in the primary will cause hard shifting and trouble finding neutral.

It should tell you in the owners manual the proper way to be sure.

06 Dynas and 07 & up everything BigTwin no longer have the Primary chain adj. port, "Self Adj." primary chain adjuster. If you check the newer bikes with the derby removed "Straight up" will cover 1/3 of the clutch in oil.
My rule of thumb is, Adj. port Straight up, No port on the side stand.

06 Dynas and 07 & up everything BigTwin no longer have the Primary chain adj. port, "Self Adj." primary chain adjuster. If you check the newer bikes with the derby removed "Straight up" will cover 1/3 of the clutch in oil.
My rule of thumb is, Adj. port Straight up, No port on the side stand.

Straight up on my 07 and just using the recommended 34-38 oz. of primary oil brings it to the bottom edge of the clutch basket, so I have to disagree here.:s

Straight up on my 07 and just using the recommended 34-38 oz. of primary oil brings it to the bottom edge of the clutch basket, so I have to disagree here.:s
As far as I know they all call for 32oz. My 07 FLH Service manual calls for 32ozs.
"Pour 32 ounces (0.95 liter) of GENUINE Harley Davidson FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAIN CASE LUBRICANT part # 99851-05quart) through the clutch inspection cover opening."
And nothing on actually checking the level! :shock
The 06 books all say to check primary oil level with the motorcycle resting on the Jiffy stand and that it should no more than 1/4 inch below the cover opening. But still calls for 32oz for a change and refill.
Older bikes are just as you say but I only use a qt when I change the new bikes.

Back